Nominate an Individual Working Towards Global Solidarity for Council of Europe North-South Prize 2019
Do you know someone who deserves recognition for their work towards global solidarity? Nominations for the North-South Prize are open and anyone can propose candidates. Yours could be the next awardee.
Application Deadline: 30th September 2018
To Be Taken At (Country): Lisbon, Portugal
About the Award: The North-South Prize of the Council of Europe is awarded every year preferably to two nominees, one from the North and the other from the South, keeping, when possible, the gender balance.
The Prize rewards their commitment to the defence and promotion of human rights, democracy and the rule of law as well as to the development of intercultural dialogue and the reinforcement of the North-South partnership and
solidarity, in conformity with the principles and priorities of the Council of Europe.
The candidates, preferably a man and a woman, must have distinguished themselves in the following areas: protection of human rights, defence of pluralist democracy, public awareness raising on issues of global interdependence and solidarity. Despite the variety of nationalities and fields of action of those that have received the Prize since its creation, they all have in common a strong commitment to the promotion of North-South partnership.
Offered Since: 1995
- The Prize shall be awarded to grass root activists, personalities and organisations recognised for their commitment to the principles of the Prize.
- The Prize is awarded on a personal basis and not posthumously
- An Organisation or individual may submit nominations, and in particular, the following institutions and individuals are encouraged to do so:
- Member States of the North-South Centre;
- Member States of the Council of Europe;
- Other North-South Centre stakeholders and partners;
- Former winners of the North-South Prize;
- International Organisations.
Number of Awards: 2
Value of Award: The Prize is honorific commending the prize-winner’s achievements.
How to Apply: Nominations should be addressed to the North-South Centre Secretariat, in English or French, providing the identification of the nominees, details regarding their achievements and the relevant supporting documents, namely motivation letters.
Award Providers: Council of Europe