Days of Dorcas Photography Competition and Workshop for African Female Photographers 2018
Participate in the Days of Dorcas photography competition for African Female Photographers and stand a chance to win free prizes and attend a workshop with leading African photographers.
Application Deadline: 17th May 2018.
Eligible Countries: African countries
To Be Taken At (Country): Lagos, Nigeria
About the Award: The Days of Dorcas photography competition for African Female Photographers Online Competition is open to photographers across Africa that will be able to attend the workshop in Lagos, Nigeria from Monday the 28th of May 2018 to Saturday the 2nd June 2018.
Workshop Topics to be covered:
- The best use of existing conditions and the art of mastering low, mid and high tones.
- Principles of visual storytelling/photo essay.
- Understanding exposure and making exposure decisions.
- How lighting directions affect images.
- LINES: (A) Exploring the association of lines (B) Analyzing lines (C) Forming lines.
- CROPPING: Altering and changing the content.
Type: Contest, Workshop
- To attend the workshop submit your entry in the online competition. If you are selected among the top entries you will be invited to attend the workshop.
- Each applicant for the competition must upload 3 photographs on the theme “the elegance of the African people”.
- Each work must be labelled with the artist’s name, date, title and Days of Dorcas.
- All photographs must have a resolution of 72 dpi with dimension not larger than 1200 X 1800 pixels.
- All materials (texts and photographs) should be added to the application form for the competition.
- Each applicant is expected to include a Motivation statement in their competition entry of not more than 300 words of why they want to attend.
- Applicants whose entries are eligible for the competition will be notified via email within 2 working days.
- The application for the competition will account for 40% of the total score used to determine the winner of the online competition.
- All applicants with eligible entries will be contacted to register for the Art635 gallery (if they are not already artists in the gallery) to participate in the competition
- Once registration for the Art635 gallery is complete, emails will be sent to participants that registered.
- Once registration for the Art635 gallery is complete, entry for the online competition is now validated.
- Among the eligible applicants the top 25 will be shortlisted and invited for the workshop.
- The workshop attendants will be sent an information pack email with more instructions.
- Workshop attendants will attend the workshop were the winners of the online competition will be decided on the last day.
Number of Awards: 25.
Value of Award:
- Grand Prize: Canon EOS 80D DSLR camera + a Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM Lens + a Canon Backpack BP10(worth $2,000.00)
- 1st runner-up: Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM Lens + a Canon Backpack BP10(worth $1,000.00)
Other Prizes/ Opportunities
- All workshop participants will receive certificates of attendance and be noted as finalists of the 2018 GTBank art635 Gallery Days of Dorcas photography workshop.
- All workshop participants will be included in an Exhibition organised by the Art635 gallery.
- All workshop participants will receive mentorship from the facilitators of the Days of Dorcas workshop.
- All workshop participants will be offered all the opportunities available to artists of the GTBank Art635 gallery.
Duration of Programme: Online Competition is open to photographers across Africa that will be able to attend the workshop in Lagos, Nigeria from Monday the 28th of May 2018 to Saturday the 2nd June 2018.
How to Apply: Apply Here
Award Providers: The Days of Dorcas Photography Workshop for African Female Photographers is a corporate social responsibility initiative of Guaranty Trust Bank plc