DAAD African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS) PhD Scholarships 2020 for African Students
DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) is able to offer scholarships for postgraduate studies to the African Institute for Mathematical Sciences. The AIMS Senegal scholarships is available in the field of Mathematics.
Application Deadline: 17th May 2019
Eligible Countries: African countries
To Be Taken At (Country): AIMS Senegal and Germany
About the Award: The target group for scholarships are graduates and postgraduates from SubSaharan Africa (excluding South Africa) with a Master’s degree if applying for a doctoral programme who want to pursue PhD courses in another Sub-Saharan African country (In-Region scholarships).
It has been agreed upon that DAAD co-operates with AIMS Senegal by offering up to 6 scholarships for a PhD Programme in Mathematics.
The programme aims at university staff development in the first line, without neglecting other public sector demand of academically trained personnel.
Field of Study: Mathematics
- Have successfully completed generally at least a two-year Master degree (doctoral candidates) with above average results (second class upper division)
- Clearly, show motivation and the strong commitment
- Have a thorough knowledge of the language of instruction
- Have completed their last university degree not more than 6 years ago at the time of application
- Must be nationals or permanent residents of an African country
- Should generally be a) staff member of a public or private university, b) candidate considered for teaching or research staff recruitment, c) from the public sector or d) DAFI-Alumni (Albert Einstein German Academic Refugee Initiative)
Female applicants and candidates from less privileged regions or groups are especially encouraged to participate in the programme.
Number of Awards: 6
Value of Award: The scholarship covers:
- Tuition and registration fees PhD per year
- Study and research allowance in EUR per year
- Insurance in EUR per year
- Monthly Scholarship in EUR (Accommodation, food etc.)
- Travel allowance
- Final allowance in EUR (once-only at the end)
- DAAD In-Country/In-Region scholarship holders are also encouraged to apply for a research stay in Germany for 2 up to 6 months. Please note: The short-term research stay in Germany should preferably be announced in the application for the regular scholarship and can only be awarded if the necessary financial means are available.
Duration of Programme: The awards are tenable for a period of up to three years.
How to Apply:
First step: Applicants must apply for their studies at AIMS using the contacts and the method that is prescribed by the institution.
Second step: AIMS will provide the shortlisted candidates with the link to the DAAD-Portal. Only the pre-selected candidates are asked to log into the DAAD portal, register themselves and submit an DAAD application.
Documents to be submitted:
- DAAD application form duly filled (available in the DAAD-Portal)
- Recommendation letter by university teachers (PhD 2)
- Letter of admission for the host university / institution / network
- Certified copies of university degree certificates including transcripts
- Letter of motivation (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see “Additional benefits”)
- Copy of the passport
- Declaration of acceptance from the academic supervisor
- Detailed and precise PhD proposal, including detailed work and timetable (if applicable: mentioning the planned research stay in Germany, see “Additional benefits”)
- Abstract of the proposal on one page (please include name and title of the proposal)