AfDB Japan Africa Dream Scholarship (JADS) 2021/2022 Fully-funded Programme for African Students to Study in Japanese Universities
The Japan Africa Dream Scholarship Programme is open to applicants from AfDB member countries with relevant professional experience and a history of supporting their countries’ development efforts who are applying to a graduate degree program in energy development and related discipline. The Japan Africa Dream Scholarship provide scholarships to any other graduate degree program.
Application Deadline: 31st August 2021
Eligible Countries: African countries
To Be Taken At (Country): Japan
About the Award: The Japan Africa Dream Scholarship (JADS) Program – capacity building in energy sector through skills development for sustainable development– is a joint initiative by the AfDB and Japan that aims at providing two-year scholarship awards to highly achieving African graduate students to enable them to undergo post-graduate studies (i.e. a two-year Master’s degree program) in priority development areas on the continent and abroad (including in Japan). This Japan Africa Dream Scholarship programme is funded by the Government of Japan.
The overarching goal that the AfDB and the Government of Japan seeks to attain is to enhance skills and human resources development in Africa in a number of priority areas pertaining to science and technology with a special focus on the energy sector. JADS’s objectives are aligned with the Bank’s High 5 agenda (i.e. Light up and power Africa, Feed Africa, Industrialize Africa, Integrate Africa and Improve the quality of life for the people of Africa) and key Japanese development assistance initiatives to Africa and the 6th Tokyo International Conference for African Development (TICAD VI) outcomes.
Upon completion of their studies, the beneficiary scholars are expected to return to their home countries to apply and disseminate their newly acquired knowledge and skills, and contribute to the promotion of sustainable development of their countries.
Eligibility: The Japan Africa Dream Scholarship is open to those who have gained admission to an approved Masters degree course at a Japanese partner university. Candidates should be 35 years old or younger; in good health; with a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in the energy area or related area; and have a superior academic record. Upon completion of their study programs, scholars are expected to return to their home country to contribute to its economic and social development.
Details on Eligibility Criteria are provided in that call’s Application Guidelines, and these detailed eligibility criteria are strictly adhered to. No exceptions are made.
Broadly speaking, nationals of African countries must:
- Be a national of a AfDB member country;
- Be in good health;
- Hold a Bachelor (or equivalent) degree in the energy area (or related field) earned at least 1 years prior to the application deadline date;
- Have 1 years or more of recent development-related experience after earning a Bachelor (or equivalent) degree;
- Be accepted unconditionally to enroll in the upcoming academic year in at least one of the JADS partner universities for a Master’s degree;
- Applicants living or working in a country other than his or her home country are not eligible for scholarships.
- JADS does not support applicants who are already enrolled in graduate degree programs.
- Not be an Executive Director, his/her alternate, and/or staff of all types of appointments of the African Development Bank Group or a close relative of the aforementioned by blood or adoption with the term “close relative” defined as: Mother, Father, Sister, Half-sister, Brother, Half-brother, Son, Daughter, Aunt, Uncle, Niece, or Nephew.
Selection Criteria: The Japan Africa Dream Scholarship programme uses the following four main factors and the degree of cohesion, to review eligible scholarship applications, with the aim of identifying the candidates with the highest potential, after completion of their graduate studies, to impact the development of their countries.
- Quality of Education Background
- Quality of Professional Recommendations
- Quality of Professional Experience
- Quality of Commitment to your Home Country
- Quality of Statement of Purpose
Japan Africa Dream Scholarship (JADS) awards scholarships to applicants who have had at least 1 year of paid employment in the applicant’s home country or in other African countries acquired after receiving the first Bachelors (or equivalent university) degree within the past 3 years.
The JADS Secretariat uses the following criteria to select the finalists:
- Maintaining a reasonably wide geographical distribution of awards, that takes into account the geographic distribution of eligible applications;
- Maintaining a reasonable distribution of awards across gender that takes into account the distribution of eligible applications across gender;
- Giving scholarships to those applicants who, other things being equal, appear to have limited financial resources
- Unusual circumstances / hardships, when assessing the employment experience and other aspects of an application.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The scholarship program provides tuition, a monthly living stipend, round-trip airfare, health insurance, and travel allowance.
How to Apply:
- Applicant requests for information and application forms and procedures from the chosen JADS partner university. For any inquiries, please contact [email protected](link sends e-mail)
- Applicant completes required documents and sends them to the university.
- University evaluates and selects applicants.
- University sends selected candidates to the AfDB.
- AfDB reviews submissions from universities, prepares and approves the final list.
- AfDB contacts selected awardees, and informs the universities.