CARTA is hereby inviting proposals from eligible CARTA graduates to apply for its Re-Entry Grants.
Application Deadline: 15th April 2018
Eligible Countries: African countries
About the Award: The Consortium for Advanced Research Training in Africa (CARTA) is a south-south partnership with a south-north collaboration jointly led by the African Population and Health Research Center (APHRC) and the University of the Witwatersrand (Wits). The Consortium was established with a mandate to build a vibrant African academy able to lead world-class multi-disciplinary research that impacts on population health in Africa.
Building on its goal to secure the future and foster the career growth of its high-achieving graduates, the Consortium for Advanced Research Training in Africa (CARTA) will offer re-entry grants in 2018 to its fellows who have completed their PhD studies CARTA re-entry grants aim to support fellows returning to or remaining at their own institutions to start a research project.
Type: Research, Grants
- Applicants for this program must be CARTA graduates only who are teaching and/or conducting research at one of the African CARTA partner-institutions.
- They should have completed their PhD within 60 months, attended all Joint Advanced Seminars, handed in all required reports during their fellowship and responded to all career tracker surveys.
Selection Criteria: Re-entry grants will be awarded on a competitive basis taking into consideration the scientific quality of the proposed research, its potential to lead to larger research program, appropriate exchanges to network and learn specific skills or techniques, the identification of an appropriate and willing mentor to support the applicant and support from the applicants head of department to ensure that the applicant has time and space to do this proposed work and involvement of a multidisciplinary team.
Applications will be assessed based on the following criteria:
- Relevance: Demonstration of a real need or problem and how it will be addressed by the re-entry grant.
- Methods: Clear and detailed identification of the methods that will be employed to carry out the re-entry grant project including why these methods are appropriate for the study.
- Results: Clear, measurable and tangible outcomes you expect as a result of the re-entry grant.
- A clear description of how the project progress will be monitored and evaluated and the role of mentor(s).
- A letter of support from the relevant head (departmental, school, faculty or institution.
- A brief description of the qualifications and role/s of co-investigator(s) in the research.
- Administration: a detailed budget including justification for the budget.
- Dissemination: A clear plan for disseminating the research outputs of the grant including conference attendance and publications.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The re-entry grant will be up to US $ 50,000. The grant will cover research costs such as travel, payment of research assistants, purchase of reagents and equipment, support for visiting a research active center by the principal investigator and funds for mentorship during the visit.
How to Apply:
- Contact the CARTA secretariat ([email protected]) and obtain application materials.
- Applicants must submit the following documents:
- A completed application form available upon request from the CARTA secretariat.
- Updated CV showing publications and awards.
- A letter of support from the relevant head (departmental, school, faculty or institution as well as a letter of support from the mentor(s).
- A statement of support from the mentor and the host institution that the applicant plans to visit.
- E-copies of your most significant publications over the last three years.
- Submit your application to the CARTA secretariat ([email protected]), and copy your focal person(s). The deadline for submissions is April 15, 2018.
Award Providers: CARTA