GCHERA World Agriculture Prize (USD100,000 Award) 2019
Two World Agriculture Prizes will be awarded in 2019 each to an individual academic/faculty member from higher education institution in recognition of the academic/faculty member’s life time achievements working in the disciplines relating to the agricultural and life sciences – including but not limited to agriculture, forestry, natural resources, food, bio based products, bioenergy, rural development and the environment.
Application Deadline: 30th April 2019
Eligible Countries: All. At least one Of these prizes will be dedicated to a candidate from a Developing Country.
To Be Taken At (Country): The 2019 Global Confederation of Higher Education Associations for the Agricultural and Life Sciences (GCHERA) World Agriculture Prize Award Ceremony will be held on 28 October 2019 in Nanjing Agricultural University, Nanjing, China.
About the Award: The GCHERA WORLD AGRICULTURE PRIZE is the international award of the Global Confederation of Higher Education Associations for the Agricultural and Life Sciences (GCHERA). The Prize aims to encourage the development of the mission of higher education institutions in education, research, innovation and outreach in the agricultural and life sciences by recognizing the distinguished contribution of an individual to this mission. Two 100,000 USD prizes will be awarded in 2018 with at least one recipient NOT coming from a country classified as having a developed economy.
Eligibility: Each nominee will demonstrate exceptional and significant achievement in his or her engagement in the mission of higher education institutions in education, research, innovation and outreach relating to the agricultural and life sciences. The impact of these achievements will most likely be demonstrated in the work of the nominee in the development of the institution(s) in which the nominee has served, and in the local and wider geographical region of those institution(s), but not necessarily globally.
Selection Criteria: The nominee will demonstrate exceptional and significant achievement in his or her engagement in the mission of higher education institutions relating to the agricultural and life sciences. This impact will most likely be demonstrated in the work of nominee in the development of higher education in the institution(s) in which the nominee has served, and in the wider geographical region of the institution(s). This engagement in the mission of higher education institutions will most likely have changed in emphasis, scope and the level of achievement as the nominee’s career has progressed.
To be more specific, as indicated in the Introduction above, the nomination will demonstrate the extent to which the nominee has:
- provided innovation and leadership in the education programmes of students at the Bachelor and Master levels, and in the delivery of life long learning,
- engaged in research for the advancement of science for the benefit of society, working with colleagues, and mentoring PhD Students and Post Doctorate staff
- provided leadership in the strategic development of the institution(s) in which the s/he has worked, not necessarily only his/her home institution but other institutions regionally or internationally
- engaged with the higher education institutions’ stakeholders, enterprises, government, NGOs and civil society in the immediate locality, regionally and internationally to strengthen knowledge transfer, innovation initiatives, and outreach ventures which have led to the enhancement of society’s well being
- been an inspiration to students, to colleagues at all levels and to leaders in the wider regional and international community.
The five bullet points above will act as prompts to assist the nominator completing the online nomination form for the GCHERA World Agriculture Prize.
Number of Awards: 2
Value of Award: Prizes to be awarded include 100,000 USD each.
How to Apply: You can register to make a nomination on this page. You will then receive a password by email to allow you to log on to the online nomination form. You can update your nomination form at any time until the closing date of 17.00 GMT on 30 April 2019.