United Nation’s Women in Science (WiSci) Girls STEAM Camp for Young African Girls 2018 – Namibia
Join other girls from around the world for a unique educational opportunity and rich cross-cultural experience at the 2018 WiSci Girls STEAM Camp held in Namibia from June 17 – June 29, 2018. STEAM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Design, and Mathematics. The camp will include a STEAM curriculum led by experts in their fields, as well as leadership development activities and learning excursions within Namibia.
Application Deadline: 16th February 2018
Offered Annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Namibia, Ethiopia, Swaziland, Kenya or the United States of America
To Be Taken At (Country): Namibia
About the Award: The Women in Science (WiSci) camp aims to close the gender gap through access to education, mentorship opportunities, and leadership training. Girls will participate in hands-on activities to learn about various STEAM topics in a cross-cultural learning environment.
- Applicants must be citizens or residents of Namibia, Ethiopia, Swaziland, Kenya or the United States of America, self-identify as female and be between the ages of 15-18 to apply.
- Applicants must have the expressed permission of a parent or guardian to apply for this opportunity.
- It is required that applicants have at least one year of secondary school still left to complete, and can commit to attend the full duration of camp. Applicants should also have regular access (at least once per week) to internet at a home, school, community center, internet café or other location.
- WiSci strongly encourages all eligible candidates to apply without regards to race, ethnicity, religion, disability, income-level or level of STEAM experience.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award:
- All selected participants will receive a scholarship to attend the camp free of charge. All costs associated with lodging, food, and activities during the camp are covered through the support of WiSci partners, in addition to transportation to/from the capital city of your home country (origin of departure).
- Participants can bring a limited amount of spending money for small souvenirs and snacks if they wish.
- Limited need-based financial assistance is available for direct costs associated with travel to the capital city to fly to the camp.
Duration of Program: June 17 – June 29, 2018.
How to Apply:
- Click on the button below that corresponds to your country of citizenship or residence to begin your application.
- The deadline to complete the application is Friday, February 16, 2018 at 23:59 UTC/GMT. Please be sure to read the WiSci FAQs to ensure you are eligible and able to participate in the full camp before you apply.
- If you have trouble with the application system or would like a fillable PDF form in compliance with screen readers, please email email@example.com.
- If you have any additional questions about the camp, eligibility, or the application process beyond what is covered in the FAQ page please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Award Providers: The camp is a public-private partnership effort between the U.S. Department of State, the United Nations Foundation’s Girl Up Campaign, Intel Corporation, Google, NASA, the American Society of Microbiology, and other partners, implemented by World Learning.