Next Einstein Forum Challenge of Invention to Innovation (Ci2i) for Young African scientists and innovators 2018
The Next Einstein Forum invites young African scientists and innovators to present their research driven innovations in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) to a panel of experts during the second Global Gathering in Rwanda (26-28 March 2018).
Application Deadline: 12th February 2018.
Eligible Countries: African countries
To Be Taken At (Country): Kigali, Rwanda
About the Award: On 26-28 March 2018, the Next Einstein Forum will host its second Global Gathering in Kigali, Rwanda. A critical component of the NEF is its unique innovation competition, the Challenge of Invention to Innovation (Ci2i). Young African scientists and innovators under 42 years of age are invited to present their research driven innovations in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) to a panel of experts in a pitch style competition.
The NEF Ci2i focuses on innovations of high impact globally and locally that a ready to be scaled up. Judges and participants come from major pan-African and global business, pharmaceutical and technological companies providing an unparalleled opportunity for researchers and entrepreneurs, both in terms of feedback and mentorship and in terms of funding to scale and expand R&D efforts.
African researchers and entrepreneurs may submit solutions in the categories Climate Smart Innovations (Energy, Agriculture, Circular Economy etc.); Deep-tech Innovations; Personalized Health Innovations;
Fields of Submission: Candidates will be invited to submit presentations under three main categories:
- Climate Smart Innovations (Energy, Agriculture, Circular Economy etc.)
- Deep-tech Innovations (Data driven innovation, Autonomous Systems, AI, Machine Learning, Digital Innovation, Fintech etc.)
- Personalized Health Innovations
The list above is not exhaustive, we invite all great innovators to apply. The NEF team will select the top 5 innovations to present at the NEF Global Gathering 2018.
Eligibility: Participation in the competition is open to Africans of all nationalities under 42 years of age. In the case that teams are led by a non-African, one of the co-founders or chief executives must be African.
Selection Criteria: During the first round of the competition, the jury will use score sheets to choose the top 2 presenters. The score sheets will assess the following criteria on a scale of 1 to 10:
- Clarity of the presentation
- Originality, novelty or innovativeness of the work or idea being presented
- Potential for or evidence of impact and application of the presented work or idea to human needs
- Scalability including business plan
In the second round, the winner will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Potential Impact
In case of a tie, the jury will decide the victor through a quick vote.
Number of Awards: 1
Value of Award: The monetary prizes for Ci2i winners and runner ups will be announcing during the unveiling of the selected Top 15 innovators to pitch at the NEF Ci2i. In addition to a monetary prize, winners will get significant media exposure and benefit from the NEF’s global network to further scale up funding and connect with partners and collaborators.
Duration of Program: 26-28 March 2018
How to Apply:
- If you have a brilliant idea/invention that you believe will have a high impact in Africa and globally or are already running a start-up and need funds to scale up, we invite you to apply.
- You can download the application form here.
- The deadline for submission of applications is 12 February 2018.
- The Top 15 will be announced 1 March 2018.
Award Providers: NEF
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
5 Signs You Are Living Above Your Means
10 Warning Signs You Need to Change Career
7 Lessons from the 2020 Pandemic and Economic Threat