American College of Surgeons International Scholarships for Surgical Education 2019
The American College of Surgeons Division of Education and International Relations Committee are pleased to announce two international scholarships focused on surgical education.
Application Deadline: 1st March 2019.
Eligible Fields of Study: Medicine-related fields
About Award: These awards, in the amount of $10,000 each, provide young faculty members from countries other than the United States and Canada with the opportunity to participate in a variety of educational opportunities for faculty development and enhancement that will result in acquisition of new knowledge and skills in surgical education and training. This knowledge and these skills will be useful in improving surgical education and training at the scholar’s home institution and country.
Type: Fellowship, Short Courses
- Applicants must be graduates of schools of medicine.
- Applicants must be at least 30 years old but under 45 on the date that the completed application is filed.
- Applicants must submit their applications from their intended permanent location.
- Applications will be accepted for processing only when the applicants have been in surgical practice and teaching for a minimum of five years following completion of all formal training (including fellowships and scholarships).
- Applicants must submit a fully completed online application form provided by the College on its website. The application and accompanying materials must be in English. Submission of a curriculum vitae only is not acceptable.
- Applicants must submit independently prepared letters of recommendation from three (3) of their colleagues. One letter must be from the chair of the department in which they hold an academic appointment and must provide evidence of support of the scholar’s objectives from the leadership at the home institution. Letters of recommendation should be submitted directly by the persons making the recommendations.
- The International Scholarships for Surgical Education must be used in the year for which they are designated. They cannot be postponed.
- Awardees are expected to provide a written report upon their return home, specifically focusing on the value of the visit to the awardee and the potential beneficial effect to patients in the country of origin.
- Unsuccessful applicants may reapply only twice and only by completing and submitting a current application form provided by the College together with new supporting documentation.
Number of Awards: 3
Value of Scholarship: Each scholarship provides a stipend of $10,000, supporting travel and per diem in the U.S., and the cost of courses undertaken at the Clinical Congress and at the centers to be visited. Clinical Congress registration will be provided gratis, and assistance in reserving thrifty housing in the Clinical Congress city will also be provided. In 2018, the Clinical Congress city is Boston, MA.
How to Apply: In order to qualify for the consideration by the selection committee, all of the requirements must be fulfilled. All applications and all of the supporting documentation must be received by the International Liaison no later than March 1, 2019, for attendance at Clinical Congress 2019.
It is important to go through the Application Requirements and overview before applying.
Award Providers: American College of Surgeons