Diabetes in Pregnancy Photo Contest for Photographers in Developing Countries 2018
Through the power of photojournalism, Women Deliver and the World Diabetes Foundation want to shine a spotlight on this not-so-niche epidemic that is harming our families, costing our health systems, and robbing the next generation of their full potential. We need you to add to the story and ensure that the issue of gestational diabetes is lifted out of the shadows.
Application Deadline: 17th December 2017
About the Award: Diabetes triggered by pregnancy affects 1 in 7 births — and the vast majority of women affected live in low-and middle-income countries. Women with unmanaged diabetes in pregnancy run a higher risk of having infants with excessive birth weight, or macrosomia, which can lead to complications such as obstructed labor and an increased risk for maternal and newborn death and disabilities. In the long term, unmanaged diabetes in pregnancy will contribute to the rising global burden of non-communicable diseases (NCDs), as more than half of all women with gestational diabetes (or onset of diabetes only during pregnancy) will develop type 2 diabetes within five years of delivery.
Though evidence begs for intervention, diabetes in pregnancy remains overlooked as a major maternal, newborn, and child health priority. Advocacy that translates evidence into action is an urgent and necessary step towards:
- Improving the health of women and their families through promoting prevention, universal screening, and treatment;
- Tackling the rise of NCDs through improving influencing intergenerational health; and
- Ultimately accelerating progress towards Sustainable Development Goal 3: promoting healthy lives and wellbeing for all at all ages by 2030.
All photos entered must highlight subjects, scenes, etc., from one of the following three countries:
Eligibility: The Diabetes in Pregnancy Photo Contest is open to all photographers who are 18 years old or older. Women Deliver will determine winners’ eligibility in its sole discretion.
The following submissions are ineligible:
- Photos that violate or infringe upon another person’s rights, including but not limited to copyright and photographs of persons without the necessary consent required by law in your jurisdiction. The Nature Conservancy reserves the right to require entrants to submit evidence of the subject’s legal consent to be photographed for the submitted photograph, which may include a signed waiver from the subject.
- Photos that contain sexually explicit, nude, obscene, violent or other objectionable or inappropriate content.
- Images that involve putting any individual in danger.
Women Deliver shall determine entry eligibility in its sole and absolute discretion.
Submissions may be watermarked if desired, but the watermark should be inconspicuous enough to not interfere with the judging of the photo. A watermarked photo might not be honored by the competition (at the judges’ sole discretion) if the photographer is unable or unavailable to provide a pristine, watermark-free version of the image when asked.
- Photo entries will be judged based on creativity, quality, originality, and responsiveness to the prompt.
- Each entry must tell the story of someone who has experienced diabetes during pregnancy in some capacity. Examples include a woman who has, or has had, diabetes during her pregnancy; health workers who work with women diagnosed with gestational diabetes; spouses of women who have experienced diabetes during pregnancy; or children whose mothers have experienced gestational diabetes.
Value of Award: 15 prizes will be awarded, as follows:
Grand Prizes: $1,000 awarded to three photographers — Women Deliver will choose one photo from each country (China, India, and Nigeria)
Honorable Mentions: 12 photographers will receive $250 — Women Deliver will choose 4 photos per country (China, India, and Nigeria) submission
Online Features: Women Deliver will select photos for highlight on its website, on social media channels, or display in a publicly accessible contest archive; such selections will be made at Women Deliver’s sole discretion.
How to Apply: ENTER YOUR PHOTO
It is necessary to go thriough the Application instructions on the Program Webpage (see Link below) before applying.
Award Providers: Women Deliver