Postdoctoral researchers from sub-Saharan Africa, including South Africa, can go on a ‘Cooperation Visit’ lasting three months to an institute in Germany.
Application Deadline: 6th September 2023
Eligible Countries: Sub-Saharan African countries
To Be Taken At (Country): Germany
About the Award: The TWAS-DFG Cooperation Visits Programme provides postdoctoral researchers from sub-Saharan Africa, including South Africa, with the opportunity to make a ‘Cooperation Visit’ to an institute in Germany of no more than 3 months.
Under this programme, researchers are assisted in making a ‘Cooperation Visit’ to an institute in Germany. Such visits will have a duration of no more than three (3) months and must be undertaken within 12 months of the award.
The aim of the visit is to discuss research collaboration with German scientists with the ultimate goal of developing longer-term collaboration, perhaps through other Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG, or German Research Foundation) programmes. DFG will cover health insurance, travel expenses and provide subsistence costs for the stay in Germany. The administration and financial operation of TWAS is undertaken by UNESCO in accordance with an agreement signed by the two organizations.
Field of Study: All academic fields
Type: Postdoctoral, Fellowship
- Applicants need to hold a PhD obtained not earlier than 2018; however, for female applicants the year limit for the PhD can be extended by two years per child, i.e. for a woman with one child the PhD year would be 2016 or later.
- Applicants must be nationals of a sub-Saharan African country, including South Africa, and hold a research position in sub-Saharan African country.
- Applicants already on site in Germany are not eligible.
- Applicants with an established collaboration with the intended host are not eligible. Examples of established collaboration include one common publication with the host Professor; a previous visit to the host laboratory; meeting of applicant and supervisor at a conference; the host Professor was previously the applicant’s MSc or PhD supervisor.
- Previous recipients of a TWAS-DFG Cooperation Visit cannot reapply. For a second visit, the German host can apply for funding under the DFG Initiation of International Collaboration Programme.
- Women scientists are especially encouraged to apply.
- All academic fields will be considered.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: DFG will cover health insurance, travel expenses and provide subsistence costs for the stay in Germany.
Duration of Program: 3 months
How to Apply:
- Applicants must complete the online application form by clicking on the ‘Apply now’ button at the bottom of this page.
- While filling in the online application, applicants also need to upload the following documentation in the link below.
Award Providers: Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG, or German Research Foundation), The World Academy of Science.