EDCTP-AREF Preparatory Fellowships 2019 for Early Career Researchers in sub-Saharan Africa
The Africa Research Excellence Fund (AREF) and the European & Developing Countries Clinical Trials Partnership (EDCTP) are offering grants to Early Career Researchers in sub-Saharan Africa in order to bridge the critical gap early in the career path from research experience to research leadership.
Application Deadlines: 27th November 2019, 17:00
Eligible Countries: sub-Saharan Africa
About the Award: Many aspiring African researchers lack the mentorship, intellectual challenge and rigour that well-funded established institutions in the North can offer to their early postdoctoral researchers. Africa accounts for 15-20% of the world’s population and a disproportionately large share of disease burden, yet scientific publications by African researchers account for less than 2% of the total academic journal output. The challenge is therefore to enable African researchers to enhance their competitiveness for international funding opportunities early in their careers while retaining them in Africa, working on Africa’s health challenges and priorities.
The purpose of the EDCTP-AREF Preparatory Fellowships is to enhance the competitiveness of up and coming post-doctoral African scientists and clinicians aspiring to win international /regional /national fellowships or grant support, such as the EDCTP Career Development Fellowships, through short-term placements at a host organisation in EU Members States, in countries associated to Horizon 2020 or in Sub-Saharan Africa which will be contracted by the home organisation to host the fellow.
- The applicant must be an organisation with an established legal entity in sub-Saharan Africa (the applicant legal entity).(2)
- The fellow must be employed or have guaranteed employment by the applicant legal entity (the home organisation) where they intend to remain working for a minimum of two years after the expiration of the grant.(2)
- Fellows must:
- be a post-doctoral scientist;
- have been awarded their doctorate within 3 years before submission deadline of the AREF-EDCTP Preparatory Fellowship application;
- have been either a PhD student or MD, and have been active researchers for up to three years following award of their doctorate;
- be resident of or be willing to relocate to a sub-Saharan African country;
- not have been funded under this fellowship scheme before.
- The requested EDCTP contribution per action shall not exceed €70, 000
- Placements sought shall be for a period of at least 3 and up to 9 months, following which there will be a re-integration period of up to 3 months. The maximum fellowship duration shall be 12 months.
Number of Awards: 6
Value of Award:
- The call budget is €400,000.
- The requested EDCTP contribution per project should not exceed €400,000.
- The funding level is up to 100% of eligible costs.
Duration of Program: Successful applicants must use the funding for a 3 to 9 months placement at a host organisation legally established in an EU Member State, a country associated to Horizon 2020 or in a Sub-Saharan African country which will be contracted by the home organisation to host the fellow. The fellow will spend a re-entry period of up to 3-months at their home organisation, making a total training period of up to 12 months.
How to Apply: The application must be submitted online via EDCTPgrants
Interested candidates should go through the Submission guidelines on the Program Webpage (See Link below) before applying.