SAMA Research Masters Supplementary Scholarship for South African Graduates 2017/2018
SAMA is therefore proud to offer the SAMA Research Masters Supplementary Scholarship.
Application Deadline: 30th September 2017
Eligible Countries: South Africa
About the Award: The SA Medical Association wishes to encourage postgraduate research in the medical field, specifically with a view to promoting research and development in medicine in South Africa.
The scholarship is awarded on merit to the successful applicant who must be a South African citizen and a medical graduate of any university in South Africa who has started their Research Masters study one year prior to the application for this scholarship.
This excludes the Professional Masters degree such as the Masters in Medicine done as a requirement for specialist training.
Eligibility: Master’s Degree graduates in general must be able to reflect critically on theory and its application. They must be able to deal with complex issues both systematically and creatively, design and critically appraise research, make sound judgements using data and information at their disposal and communicate their conclusions clearly to specialist and non-specialist audiences, demonstrate self-direction and originality in tackling and solving problems, act autonomously in planning and implementing tasks with a theoretical underpinning and continue to advance their knowledge, understanding and skills.
Selection Criteria: The main selection criteria are the academic quality of the research proposal and the suitability of the project for the SA environment.
Number of Awards: 1
Value of Award: The successful applicant will receive an award of R50 000 disbursed over two years.
How to Apply: The application must contain the following:
- Completed application form with a passport-size photograph attached;
- Typed copy of curriculum-vitae (max of 2 pages);
- Title of project and short abstract of research project (500 words) detailing the background, aims and objectives, research question and methods;
- Proof of registration with an academic institution;
- References from supervisor of the applicant. The referee’s title and academic status should be clearly indicated in this (with official rubber-stamp). These should be confidential (in sealed envelopes) and should be recent-dated
Applications will only be received between 1 August and 30 September each year and must be addressed to –
The SAMA Bursary Committee
P O Box 74789
The application form can be downloaded here
Award Providers: SA Medical Association
Important Notes: Successful candidates will be contacted by the latest on 5 December, for a possible face-to-face or electronic interview in this regard.