African Economic Research Consortium (AERC) PhD In-Country, In-Region Eastern Africa Scholarships 2019/2020 for African Students
DAAD in cooperation with the CMAAE Programme of AERC, is offering up to 6 in-country, in-region PhD scholarships in Agricultural and Applied Economics. The objective of this cooperation is to support the national and regional postgraduate training programme offered by AERC.
Application Deadline: 20th February 2019
Eligible Countries: African countries
Eligible Fields: Fields of specialization covered in the CMAAE programme include Agricultural and Rural Development, Agricultural Policy and Trade, Environment and Natural Resource Management, and Agribusiness Management.
A. PhD Fellowship Programme for CMAAE Network Faculty Members
- All applicants must be holders of a masters degree in agricultural and applied economics, or related discipline;
- Applicants must be a staff or potential staff member of a participating CMAAE university who is earmarked for staff retention to build the department of agricultural economics’ capacity for teaching and research;
- Applicants must be recommended by a participating network university. The recommendation letter must indicate the willingness of the university to absorb the candidate upon successful completion of his/her PhD.
B. PhD Programme for CMAAE Graduates
- Must have attained at least a Second Class Honours (Upper Division) or equivalent in their undergraduate degree in Agricultural Economics or related field from an accredited university;
- Must have a masters degree with coursework and thesis component in Agricultural Economics, Economics or related fields from a CMAAE network university;
- The coursework should have covered microeconomics, macroeconomics and quantitative methods;
- Possession of at least one relevant publication in a refereed journal will be an added advantage;
- Evidence of engagement in economic management, research and/training in the public sector will be an added advantage;
- Applicants will apply to AERC directly and only shortlisted applicants will be eligible to apply to DAAD through DAAD website portal. DAAD will undertake the final selection of PhD awardees from the shortlisted applicants.
Number of Awards: 6
Duration of Program: Scholarships are available for up to a maximum of three years, initially granted for one year and may be extended upon individual request and receipt of a complete application by using forms to be provided. The duration of the PhD programme is 3 years, generally starting in September 2019.
How to Apply: Interested applicants must submit their applications for admission directly to the respective host universities (application procedure can be obtained from the respective university websites). Upon receipt of an admission letter, temporary admission letter or letter assuring admission from the specific university, the applicant should apply for scholarship by submitting the following documents via http://scholarships.aercafrica.org/ not later than February 20, 2019
- Signed curriculum vitae; please use the Europass CV template (http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu)
- A signed copy of the DAAD Information Sheet for Students
- Certified copies of all university degree certificates
- Certified copies of all university transcripts
- At least temporary admission letter including fee structure of respective course (original or certified copy only), or an official letter assuring admission
- Letter of motivation (Maximum 2 pages)
- For faculty members, a reference letter from the Head of Department as a proof of employment (original
- PhD proposals which must demonstrate relevance to agricultural development
- Two (2) recommendation letters from academic referees who are at least Senior Lecturer in rank.