Global Young Academy 2023 New Membership Call for Young Leaders
Applications are sought from young, independent scholars who combine the highest level of research excellence with a demonstrated passion for delivering impact.
Application Deadline: 15th September 2022 18.00 (6 pm) UTC.
Eligible Countries: GYA and Non-GYA countries
Field of Study: The call is open to all scholars working in any research-based discipline, including the sciences, medicine, engineering, social sciences, the arts and humanities.
About the Award: Applications are sought from young, independent scholars who combine the highest level of research excellence with a demonstrated passion for delivering impact.
Type: Contests/Job (Volunteer)
- Research fields: The call is open to all scholars working in any research-based discipline, including the natural, physical and social sciences, as well as the arts and humanities.
- Excellence: Applicants must be able to demonstrate a high level of excellence in their discipline, ascertained by a proven track record and expected future achievements. Moreover, applicants must demonstrate a clear commitment to making a difference in society. PhD or equivalent is a requirement for applicants.
- Impact: The Global Young Academy is committed to a broad range of programmes around the world to support young scholars, promote science to a broad audience, engage in policy debate, and foster international and interdisciplinary collaboration. Applicants should provide evidence of interest or experience in one or more of these areas.
- Age/career point: Applicants should be in the early to middle years of their independent careers, i.e. approximately 7 years from PhD and aged 30-40. Applicants falling outside these ranges are still invited to send their applications with a justification for why they should be considered.
- Expectations: Each GYA member is expected to attend the GYA Annual General Meeting each year and is also expected to actively contribute to one or more of the organisation’s programmes, which include participation in policy development, promotion of National Young Academies, supporting science outreach and education at the national and international levels, and the young scientist ambassador programme. The GYA is an active organisation, and being a member requires a time commitment on each member’s part. In the event that applicants are selected as new GYA members, they should be available to attend the next Annual General Meeting, which is scheduled for 5 June – 9 June 2023 in Rwanda.
Selection Criteria: All applicants are judged against 3 factors:
- ‘academic’ excellence, judged by: research record; publications and citations; career history; awards and prizes; and any other relevant information provided.
- ‘non-academic’ excellence, judged by: engagement with industry, business, government and the general public; successful commercialization or widespread adoption of research; starting a successful research-based company, and other relevant factors provided.
- commitment to ‘service’, as shown by: demonstrated support for young researchers at a national level; launching or holding a senior role in a national young academy; public communication of science or scholarship; and commitment to the goals of the GYA.
It is not necessary for candidates to score at the highest level in all 3 categories, but strong applicants score well in either or both of categories (i) and (ii), and very highly in category (iii). By scoring applications against multiple criteria, we try to provide a balanced application process for candidates, whether they work in academic or non-academic sector
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The Global Young Academy seeks to identify and appoint to its membership the world’s leading researchers in basic and applied science, engineering, social sciences, arts and the humanities who are committed to contributing to the betterment of society through scientific engagement. Candidates may work in academia, government or private industry.
Duration of Program: 5 Years
How to Apply: Applications should be completed personally by the candidate and must be accompanied by a letter of support. Application documents and instructions can be found at www.globalyoungacademy.net. As the Annual General Meeting will be conducted in English, applications should be submitted in English.