Global Young Academy New Membership Call for Young Leaders 2019
Applications are sought from young, independent scholars who combine the highest level of research excellence with a demonstrated passion for delivering impact.
Application Deadline: 15th September 2019 22:00 (10PM) (UTC)
Eligible Countries: GYA and Non-GYA countries
Field of Study: The call is open to all scholars working in any research-based discipline, including the sciences, medicine, engineering, social sciences, the arts and humanities.
About the Award: Founded in 2010, the Global Young Academy is an international organisation of young researchers with 200 members from 70 countries on six continents. Members are selected for five-year terms based on their academic excellence and commitment to applying science and scholarship for the benefit of society. For more information on the Global Young Academy or its programmes, please visit www.globalyoungacademy.net.
Type: Contests/Job (Volunteer)
- Research fields: The call is open to all scholars working in any research-based discipline, including the sciences, medicine, engineering, social sciences, the arts and humanities.
- Excellence: Applicants must be able to demonstrate highest level of excellence in their discipline.
- Impact: The Global Young Academy is committed to a broad range of programmes around the world to support young scholars, promote science to a broad audience, engage in policy debate, and foster international and interdisciplinary collaboration. Applicants should provide evidence of interest or experience in one or more of these areas.
- Age/career point: Applicants should be in the early years of their independent careers. The majority of the GYA’s members are aged 30-40 and the typical period from completion of a PhD or similar degree is 3-10 years. Applicants falling significantly outside these ranges may be considered under exceptional circumstances. In particular, applicants who do not fit this typical profile due to career disruptions are encouraged to apply.
- Expectations: Each GYA member is expected to attend the GYA Annual General Meeting each year and is also expected to actively contribute to one or more of the organisation’s programmes, which include participation in policy development, promotion of National Young Academies, and supporting science and education at the international level. The GYA is an active organisation, and being a member requires a time commitment on each member’s part. In the event that applicants are selected as new GYA members, they should be available to attend the next Annual General Meeting.
Selection Criteria: All applicants are judged against 3 factors:
- ‘academic’ excellence, judged by: research record; publications and citations; career history; awards and prizes; and any other relevant information provided.
- ‘non-academic’ excellence, judged by: engagement with industry, business, government and the general public; successful commercialization or widespread adoption of research; starting a successful research-based company, and other relevant factors provided.
- commitment to ‘service’, as shown by: demonstrated support for young researchers at a national level; launching or holding a senior role in a national young academy; public communication of science or scholarship; and commitment to the goals of the GYA.
It is not necessary for candidates to score at the highest level in all 3 categories, but strong applicants score well in either or both of categories (i) and (ii), and very highly in category (iii). By scoring applications against multiple criteria, we try to provide a balanced application process for candidates, whether they work in academic or non-academic sector
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The Global Young Academy seeks to identify and appoint to its membership the world’s leading researchers in basic and applied science, engineering, social sciences, arts and the humanities who are committed to contributing to the betterment of society through scientific engagement. Candidates may work in academia, government or private industry.
Duration of Program: 5 Years
How to Apply: Applications should be completed personally by the candidate and must be accompanied by a letter of support. Application documents and instructions can be found at www.globalyoungacademy.net. As the Annual General Meeting will be conducted in English, applications should be submitted in English.
Award Provider: GYA
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
10 Best Places To Study Abroad If…
Don’t Take This Common Advice If…
7 Lessons from the 2020 Pandemic and Economic Threat