Africa Artbox Contest for Projects in Science and Technology 2017
TRIAS CULTURE, with the support of the Embassy of Spain in Senegal, launches, from June 20 to September 30 2017, the digital art competition “Africa Artbox”.
Application Deadline: 30th September 2017
Eligible Countries: African countries
About the Award: Call for projects realized with digital media / electronic / medial – and those that offer a critical reflection on contemporary culture, increasingly dependent on technologies and digital spaces.
This call for projects, intended for all African or non-African digital artist living in Africa, aims to stimulate the creativity, research and experimentation of new aesthetic languages in Africa, a continent which is hosting a big part of much of the world’s youth, and challenges all the obstacles to integrate the new immaterial and mobile cultures of today’s digital technologies.
The theme of the competition is open, however, participants are encouraged to reflect on the current technological changes and its impact in our societies.
H0w to Live in the Space of an Online Culture?
- All African and non-African artists over the age of 18 years old and living in Africa are invited to participate. For non-African participants, it’s mandatory to have spent more than three years in their residence country in Africa.
- The call is open to projects with artistic motivation engaging innovative, experimental work, paying particular attention to their environment, and facilitating the transfer of knowledge and the creation of learning communities.
- The Creative projects may concern any artistic discipline, such as performing arts, music, visual arts (painting, sculpture, photography, etc…), video art, printed works, installations, Net-Art, etc. integrating a digital process into its creation, including photo manipulation, 3D rendering, virtual and augmented reality, drawings created on phones, tablets or computers, using software and/or digital devices (as well as sensors, among others). The use of open source software is encouraged.
- Only one project can be submitted per participant.
- Any advertising, educational or other material for non-artistic purposes is prohibited.
- The proposal must be original, unpublished and must integrate digital media during its production process.
- The organizers do not assume any responsibility for the expenses incurred in entering the contest.
Selection Criteria: First, the proposals will be examined by the selection panel, taking into account the following information :
1. The aesthetic and artistic interest of the proposal ;
2. The critical discourse around tools, technologies and the social environment of the artist ;
3. The originality and/or innovative nature of the proposal ;
4. The viability of the proposal (budget, format, transportability, conservation, etc.) ;
5. Curriculum Vitae including the artistic background ;
6. Motivation for participation in the competition.
The project selection will then be evaluated by the jury, who will determine the winning project
and the works to be exhibited during the award ceremony.
The decision of the jury is final, private and not subject to public requests. The organizers will not
respond to any correspondence concerning the jury’s decision.
Number of Awards: 1
Value of Award: The winning artist will receive a creative residency at the international center “Plataforma Bogotá”, an interactive laboratory of art, science and technology based in Bogotá-Colombia, offering him the opportunity to carry out his creative project in a collaborative space and surrounded by an experienced and multidisciplinary team
How to Apply: Each Proposal must be accompanied by:
Motivation letter (PDF)
2. An Artistic Curriculum Vitae (PDF)
3. Brief descriptions of the 2 most representative works carried out during the last 2 years,
joining for each of them the corresponding technical sheet (including technology used, artistic
concept, resulting exhibitions). (PDF max. 3 MB).
Contest entries and submission of proposals will only be made via the online form available on the website Africa Artbox Digital.
Award Providers: TRIAS CULTURE
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
Don’t Take This Common Advice If…
7 Lessons from the 2020 Pandemic and Economic Threat
How Africa Went from 0 to 69,000 COVID 19 Cases (15 Feb to 12 May 2020)