The Women’s Land Rights Visiting Professionals Program (VPP) is a capacity-enhancing and network-building initiative of the Landesa Center for Women’s Land Rights.
Application Deadline: 20th August 2017
Eligible Countries: India, China, Myanmar, Liberia, or Tanzania
To Be Taken At (Country): Seattle, USA
About the Award: The Women’s Land Rights Visiting Professionals Program seeks to cultivate a network of qualified professionals from around the world who are strongly committed to securing women’s land rights at local, national, and international levels. Our program goals are to enhance and learn from participants’ expertise, to support their commitment to securing women’s land rights, and to foster participation in a global women’s land rights network.
This is a competitive program that begins with a five-week period of intense training, mentoring, and experience sharing with land tenure experts at Landesa’s headquarters in Seattle, Washington. Participants will have the opportunity to deepen their expertise, gain and impart comparative knowledge around legal and policy reform and implementation; expand the set of approaches to designing, executing, and evaluating women’s land rights interventions; and improve their impact by honing leadership, management, and communication skills.
Program participants work closely with one another and with Landesa staff to develop their skills, expertise, and commitment to support one another by:
- Participating in and contributing to substantive and comparative discussions
- Sharing knowledge and expertise through presentations and informal conversations
- Providing and receiving constructive feedback
- Fostering group cohesion built on trust and openness to facilitate the growth of a global network of women’s land rights professionals
- All applicants must be currently based and working in India, China, Myanmar, Liberia, or Tanzania due to current funding guidelines.
- Professionals currently working in-country for national or international organizations, NGOs, academic institutions, government agencies, etc.
- Practitioners, policy advocates, community organizers, educators, and other development professionals strongly committed to strengthening women’s land rights
- Professionals with at least five years’ development experience, with two of those years focused on issues related to land tenure or women’s rights
- Professionals with advanced English proficiency skills (speaking, reading, and writing)
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The program covers the cost of tuition, obtaining a US visa, roundtrip flights, airport transfers in the US, lodging, and public transportation and provides a modest stipend for food and other living expenses.
Duration of Program: April 1 – May 5, 2018
How to Apply: Please make sure we receive the following documents by August 20, 2017:
- Completed application form (download here)
- Letter of interest summarizing your qualifications for the Women’s Land Rights Visiting Professionals Program
- CV or resume
- One writing sample (five-pages maximum) that demonstrates your approach to and involvement in development work and/or women’s land rights
Please email these materials as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Award Providers: Landesa
Important Notes: Finalists will be notified for interviews and announced in September 2017.