The Council for Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA) and the United Nations Office for West Africa and the Sahel (UNOWAS) announce the Call for Papers for an international conference on Money, Security and Democratic Governance in Africa that will be held in Bamako, Mali on October 19-20, 2017.
Application Deadline: 30th July 2017
Eligible Countries: African countries
To be taken at (country): Bamako, Mali
About the Award: This conference forms part of CODESRIA’s ongoing engagement with the issues of security and governance in Africa. UNOWAS’ involvement reflects its leading role in addressing security and governance issues in West Africa and the Sahel, which suffer from many of the issues that will occupy this conference.
The CODESRIA-UNOWAS conference on Money, Security and Democratic Governance in Africa will seek answers to the following questions:
- To what extent do illicit financial flows undermine democratic governance and security in Africa and what are the sources of the funds involved in these flows?
- What are effective ways to curb the influence of illicit money on democratic governance and security in Africa?
- How are gender and age involved in the interactions of money, security and governance?
- How can social movements, especially those involving women and the youth help curb the influence of illicit financial flows on democratic governance and security in Africa?
- How has investment in law enforcement agencies and security forces affected the capacity and interest of African states to deal with human development challenges?
- What are some of the deleterious ‘side effects’ of efforts to curb the influence of illicit flows on democratic governance and security in Africa?
Those interested in participating in the conference are invited to send papers of 8000 8500 words (including all references, notes and appendices) and a CV with full contact details including email addresses and phone numbers to CODESRIA no later than July 30, 2017.
Type: Call for Papers
Eligibility: Empirically grounded and theoretically ambitious papers that have not yet been published will be privileged in the selection process.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Program: The conference organizers will bear the conference participation costs of those whose papers are selected for presentation at the meeting.
Duration of Program: October 19-20, 2017
How to Apply: All documents should be sent in Word format by email to email@example.com. Please use the subject line ‘CODESRIA-UNOWAS’ when sending your email.
Award Provider: Council for Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA), United Nations Office for West Africa and the Sahel (UNOWAS)