Call for Speakers: UNCCD COP13 Youth Forum 2017. Fully-funded to China
The UNCCD secretariat invites all young people and youth organization representatives to apply to speak and participate in the international UNCCD Youth Forum at its 13th Conference of the Parties (COP 13). The theme this year is “land, youth and sustainability.”
Application Deadline: 26th June 2017
Eligible Countries: All
To be taken at (country): Ordos, Inner Mongolia, China
About the Award: The United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) secretariat recognizes the important roles youth play in combating land degradation and promoting sustainable land management (SLM). Empowering young people to protect and restore degraded ecosystems will lead to green innovations that will contribute to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), in particular, reaching SDG15.3 land degradation neutrality.
From 8-10 September 2017, the State Forestry Administration, the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification secretariat, the United Nations Environment and All Youth China Federation in partnership with Chinese Forestry Academy to co-organize the first UNCCD Youth Forum recognizing the important roles that the youth plays in achieving the sustainable development goals, in particular target 15.3 on Land Degradation Neutrality
The Forum will be the platform for youth to:
- Voice their commitments toward achieving land degradation neutrality
- Build their capacities and opportunities to work toward combating desertification, land degradation and drought
- Share their experiences in combating desertification
Eligibility: Applicants must:
- be between 18 to 35 years of age;
- be volunteers / members for a civil society organization or network, academic institution, trade or technical institution or UN youth-related education program;
- be authorized officially by their organization or network to speak on behalf of the organization or institution (providing a signed letter from head of organization or a supervisor);
- have demonstrated ability to engage constructively with a variety of stakeholders;
- be available to be in Ordos, China from 7-10 September 2017;
- have a visa for travel to China, or be able to obtain one within 2 weeks. (Please check with the Chinese Embassy or Consulate in your country. Selected speakers will receive an invitation letter to support a visa application, but will be responsible for obtaining the visa and for any costs associated with obtaining the visa.);
- agree to produce a daily article / blog for the forum when selected
- be able to communicate in English
Selection Criteria: The Committee of the Youth Forum will facilitate in identifying speakers and representatives from all regions to participate in the forum. The youth representatives and speakers will be selected based on their submission of the following:
- Personal details (please use the form provided) Youth Forum United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification 13th Conference of Parties Land, Youth and Sustainability
- Nomination letter from an CSO accredited or provisionally accredited to the Convention (bearing official letterhead and seal)
- Answers for the questions included in the form
- Curriculum vitae (max 2 pages)
- samples of work undertaken by the incumbent related to land issues (e.g. blog, video, articles, etc.) A web link to the provided material is also sufficient.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Program: Selected speakers and representatives will receive full funding of international travel, accommodation and daily allowance during the forum.
Duration of Program: 8-10 September 2017
How to Apply: Apply Now!
Award Provider: United Nations to Combat Desertification (UNCCD)