Software Engineer Intern, Africa Trainee Program – Zurich Switzerland
Google is offering African Students with background in computer science, opportunities to make a difference in technology through the Software Engineer Intern, Africa Trainee Program in Zurich Switzerland.
Google is offering a fantastic internship opportunity for computer science students from African Universities to gain experience working in a European location in Switzerland. The successful Software engineering interns will join other developers at Google who yearn to create and implement full product life cycles – not just code solutions.
An ideal applicant is a candidate who has a solid foundation in computer science, consistently come up with new ideas and strives for a deep understanding of Google products in order to be able to continually improve upon them.
The Africa Trainee Programme Internship is a paid, full-time position and 3 months in length taking place from June to August.
How it Works
The Google teams develop massively scalable, distributed software systems and also collaborate on multitudes of smaller projects that have universal appeal – which requires research, awareness, interactivity and asking questions. As an intern under the African trainee program, you bring strong competencies in data structures and algorithms along with a technical fascination for how stuff fits together. You’re motivated to experiment and take chances in order to make a difference in your field, unafraid to stand up for your ideas and eager to embrace change.
Interns at Google work on stimulating challenges every day. You’ll be paired with an engineer who will serve as your host and technical leader, and you’ll work on projects that have a direct impact on the way Google operates. Projects assigned will be achievable within twelve weeks to ensure candidates are given a real experience of the life cycle.
- Research, conceive and develop software applications to extend and improve on Google’s product offering.
- Contribute to a wide variety of projects utilizing natural language processing, artificial intelligence, data compression, machine learning and search technologies.
- Collaborate on scalability issues involving access to massive amounts of data and information.
- Solve all problems that come your way.
- Currently pursuing a BS, MS or PhD in computer science or a related technical field. Typically within 12-18 months of completing a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, or at any stage in your PhD.
- Experience in systems software or algorithms.
- Excellent programming skills (C++, Java, Python).
- Knowledge of UNIX/Linux or Windows environments and APIs.
- Familiarity with TCP/IP and network programming a plus.
- Fluency in English.
The Africa Trainee Program exposes promising African students to the software engineering project management life cycle. The program enables them to drive projects in their region and compete internationally as well-rounded students.
To be considered for the 2012 program, visit Google Software Engineering Africa Trainee Program application page to apply.
Visit Review page for details