Apply: School of Data Fellowship Programme for Developing Countries 2018
School of Data is inviting journalists, data scientists, civil society advocates and anyone interested in advancing data literacy to apply for its 2018 Fellowship Programme, which will run from May 2018 to January 2019.
Application Deadline: 6th May 2018
Eligible Countries: 8 positions are open, 1 in each of the following countries: Bolivia, Guatemala, Ghana, Indonesia, Kenya, Malawi, Tanzania, The Philippines.
About the Award: Fellowships are nine-month placements with School of Data for data-literacy practitioners or enthusiasts. During this time, Fellows work alongside School of Data to build an individual programme that will make use of both the collective experience of School of Data’s network to help Fellows gain new skills, and the knowledge that Fellows bring along with them, be it about a topic, a community or specific data literacy challenges.
Similarly to previous years, our aim with the Fellowship programme is to increase awareness of data literacy and build communities who together, can use data literacy skills to make the change they want to see in the world.
Type: Fellowship (Career)
Eligibility: The 2018 Fellowship will continue the thematic approach pioneered by the 2016 class. As a result, we will be prioritising candidates who:
- possess experience in, and enthusiasm for, a specific area of data literacy training
- can demonstrate links with an organisation practising in this defined area and/or links with an established network operating in the field
We are looking for engaged individuals who already have in-depth knowledge of a given sector and have been reflecting on the data literacy challenges faced in the field. This will help Fellows get off to a running start and achieve the most during their time with School of Data: nine months fly by!
Selection Criteria: The School of Data will consequently prioritise individuals who:
- possess relevant experience and expertise in the technical areas our local partners need help with
- can demonstrate a strong interest in the field of activity of the civil society organisation they will be supporting
Number of Awardees: Up to 8
Value of Fellowship:
- While Fellows will be focused on ironing their skills as data trainers and build a community around them, Experts will focus on supporting and training a civil society organisation or newsroom with a specific project.
- Fellows will receive a monthly stipend of $1,000 USD a month to cover for their work.
- Experts, who will have a planning with more variations, will receive a total stipend of $10,500 USD over the course of the programme.
Duration of Fellowship:
- May 14th, 2018 to January 31st, 2019
- Level of activity: 10 days per month
- How to Apply: Apply Here
Award Provider: School of Data