Government of Malta Scholarships in Climate Action for Students from Developing Countries 2018/2019
The Scholarships in Climate Action are being offered as part of the Government of Malta’s commitment under the Climate Finance Package to provide support for capacity building in developing States.
Application Deadline: 25th May 2018
Eligible Countries: Developing nations listed in link below
To be taken at (country): Malta
About the Award: Three scholarships in postgraduate studies are being offered for students seeking to enroll in Postgraduate Studies at the University of Malta commencing in October 2018. Each scholarship will focus on one of the three key areas recognised as essential pathways for ensuring effective climate action on a national level.
These pathways are:
- mitigation of climate change and low carbon transportation
- adaptation to climate change to enhance resilience for the conservation of living marine resources
- climate change governance in the context of small island states and territories.
The scholarships would offer students from developing States the opportunity to focus their studies and research according to their national needs and realities. A number of developing states are already exploring methodologies on how to build a better future in view of the impacts of climate change. The formation of young professionals in this field will directly support the growth and consolidation of these home-grown initiatives. The aim of these scholarships donated by the government of Malta will serve to complement other national climate action projects and provide the opportunity to educate academically and train professionally, young people from developing Page 2 of 16 States on how to manage mitigation, adaptation and governance of climate change.
Eligibility: In order to be considered eligible
- applicants should be Nationals and current residents of one of the countries indicated in the following list available here
- Applications should demonstrate a clear intention of returning to their home country at the end of their studies in Malta.
Number of Awardees: 3
Value of Scholarship: Funding will cover:
- Payment of the University of Malta Tuition Fees and/or Enrolment fee.
- Health Insurance to cover a premium up to a maximum of EUR 500 per year. Students will be guided on this and other arrangements upon arrival.
- Reimbursement for visa expenses amounting to 60 eur.
- A monthly subsistence allowance amounting to EUR 750 per month to be used towards accommodation, living, transport, academic expenses and any other expenses that may arise. Students will receive this monthly allowance for a maximum and continued duration of 16 months. The study programme must be completed on a full-time basis within the same time-frame.
- One return journey to the home country the cost of which is capped at 1000 euro. Any additional trips or travel costs higher than this amount will have to be covered by the student.
The scholarship holders will be requested to attend the Orientation Programme that is organised for all new international students joining the University of Malta. This will be held towards the end of September 2018.
How to Apply: Applicants need to have submitted their application online and provided copies of their academic qualifications and all other requested documentation to the University of Malta by the 25th May 2018.
It is important to go through the Application criteria and process before applying for this scholarship.
Award Provider: Government of Malta