10 Swedish Institute Study Scholarships 2020/2021 for South African Students
Are you a talented and ambitious citizen of South Africa and want to study for a master’s degree in Sweden on a fully-funded scholarship? Find out if you can apply to the Swedish Institute Study Scholarships for South Africa.
- To begin with, apply for a master’s programme at universityadmissions.se, between 16 October 2019 – 15 January 2020.
- Apply for an SI scholarship between 10 – 20 February 2019, follow the instructions below.
Eligible countries: South Africa
To be taken in (country): Sweden
Accepted Subject Areas: About 600 different study programs at Swedish universities are eligible for a scholarship. Priority will be given to applicants choosing study programmes with an emphasis on gender equality, sustainable development, democracy, human rights or poverty reduction.
About the Award: In connection with the Binational Commission agreement between Sweden and South Africa, the Swedish Institute allocates up to 10 scholarships for South African citizens attending master’s studies starting in the autumn semester 2019.
Eligibility: To be eligible for the Swedish Institute Study Scholarships:
- Applicants must be South African citizens but may, at the time of their application and admission, reside in a country other than South Africa, including Sweden.
- Applicants must be required to pay tuition fees to the universities, followed the steps of university admission, and will be admitted to one of the eligible master’s programs by April 2020
- There are also criteria regarding dual citizenships, previous residence and studies in Sweden, and more. Interested candidates are encouraged to read more about other eligibility criteria.
Priority will be given to applicants who
- have completed bachelor’s with honours or equivalent from a South African university, and
- choosing study programmes with an emphasis on one of the following subject areas (listed in alphabetical order, no priority or ranking is implied):
- Computer science and IT
- Design (industrial design, architecture, urban/regional planning)
- Environmental technology/Sustainable development
- Gender studies
- Public health
Number of Awardees: 10
Value of Scholarship:
- Tuition fees: directly paid to the Swedish university by us
- Living expenses of SEK 10,000/month
- Travel grant of SEK 15,000 *
- Insurance against illness and accident
- Membership of the SI Network for Future Global Leaders (NFGL) – a platform to grow professionally and build your network and experience, while in Sweden
- Membership of the SI Alumni Network after your scholarship period – a platform for continued networking and further professional development
*The travel grant is a one-time payment for the entire scholarship period. The grant is not applicable to students already living in Sweden.
Duration of Scholarship: The Swedish Institute Study Scholarships is intended for full-time master’s level studies of one or two years, and is only awarded for programmes starting in the autumn semester. The scholarship is granted for one academic year (two semesters) at a time. It will be extended for programmes longer than two semesters, provided that the student has passed his/her courses/credits.
How to Apply: Application to the Swedish Institute study scholarships consist of these steps:
- Apply for a master’s programme at universityadmissions.se
- Apply for SI Study Scholarships for South Africa
- Notifications from University Admissions
- Announcement of up to 10 successful SI scholarship recipients