Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Programme 2019 for African Secondary School Students
The Yale Young African Scholars Program (YYAS) is a high-intensity academic and leadership program designed for African secondary school students who have the talent, drive, energy, and ideas to make meaningful impacts as young leaders, even before they begin their university studies.
Application Deadline: 6th February, 2019, at 11:59pm EST.
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: African countries
Eligible Field of Study: Any
About the Award: The application for the 2019 Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Program is now available! Entering its fifth year, this intensive program brings together African secondary school students between the ages of 14–18 for a cost-free, intensive academic and residential program.
Administered by the Yale Young Global Scholars Program and building off that model of interdisciplinary academic curriculum, YYAS participants will attend lectures led by prominent Yale faculty, seminars developed by Yale student instructors, and experiential exercises designed to augment their leadership skills. Participants will engage in robust intellectual exchanges that are crucial to understanding Africa’s most pressing challenges and opportunities. In addition to the introduction to university application processes, Yale student-led courses and leadership training, YYAS also offers students standardized test preparation sessions at no cost to the students.
Type: Training/Short Courses
- YYAS accepts applications from current secondary school (i.e. high school) students in Africa, typically between the ages of 15 and 18. All applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of an African country AND currently be attending a school in Africa.
- Students who will graduate secondary school before November/December 2019, or who have already graduated secondary school, are NOT eligible to apply. YYAS will also not accept applications from students who are younger than 14 years of age by the application deadline.
- Alumni who have attended YYAS or YYGS previously are not eligible to reapply. However, YYAS alumni are encouraged to apply for the Yale Young Global Scholars Program.
- Excellent academic records
- Demonstrated leadership potential
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A desire and ability to work cooperatively with peers
- Persistence and determination when facing challenges
- High standards of personal and professional conduct
- The ability to read, analyze, and reflect on large quantities of difficult material in English
- Interest in engaging in discussions about intellectual, moral, and political issues in Africa
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Award: Fully-funded. To make the program accessible to students of all financial backgrounds, there is no cost for students to participate in YYAS. In addition, YYASoffers a limited number of travel grants for admitted students from low-income backgrounds and who demonstrate the need for financial assistance to offset the costs of airfare between African countries.
Duration of Program:
- Ghana | 25 July – 01 August
- Kenya | 07 August – 14 August
- Zimbabwe | 18 August – 25 August
How to Apply: Access the 2019 online application
Important Note: Please note there is no cost to apply for, or participate in YYAS. While we share the same online application form as our sister program, YYGS, the application fee section only applies to students who wish to apply for both programs, or YYGS only. Students who ONLY wish to apply for YYAS should disregard the financial aid section of the application.