Nikon Small World In Motion Digital Video Contest 2018
The Nikon Small World In Motion 2018 Video Competition has recently opened for entries, coming from all parts of the world.
Application Deadline: 30th April 2018
Eligible Countries: All
About the Award: This competition is an extension to the Nikon Small World Photomicrography Competition and dedicated strictly to movie or digital time-lapse photography taken through the microscope. It is held annually since 2011.
The subject matter is unrestricted and any type of light microscopy technique is acceptable, including phase contrast, polarized light, fluorescence, interference contrast, darkfield, confocal, deconvolution, and mixed techniques. Entries submitted to Nikon are then judged by an independent panel of experts who are recognized authorities in the area of photomicrography and photography. These entries are judged on the basis of originality, informational content, technical proficiency and visual impact.
A movie that has won any other competition is not eligible to win this contest.
The Nikon International Small World Competition first began in 1975 as a means to recognize and applaud the efforts of those involved with photography through the light microscope. Since then, Small World has become a leading showcase for photomicrographers from the widest array of scientific disciplines.
- Anyone over the age of 18 is eligible, with the exception of employees of Nikon, their families, the contest judges, and individuals engaged in the manufacture or sale of microscopes or photographic equipment. Former first prizewinners are ineligible to win first prize in the three contests immediately following the contest they won, but can win other prizes. A movie that has won any other competition is not eligible to win this contest.
- Movies must be captured using a light microscope, such as one of the Nikon series of compound or stereoscopic microscopes. The use of Nikon equipment is not required. No purchase is necessary.
- Any type of specimen is acceptable. All techniques of light microscopy are acceptable. Electron microscopy is not acceptable. Animated movies are not acceptable.
- Movies must be submitted digitally by uploading to the Small World Competition entry area on the www.nikonsmallworld.com Web site. Maximum file size is 100MB, and it is recommended the file size be no smaller than 3MB although smaller file sizes will not be disqualified. Movies should be no longer than 2 minutes in length. Files must be in .avi, .wmv, .mov, mp4, mpeg4 or .flv format. Nikon reserves the right to edit movies for length. Although sound is permitted, the use of copyrighted material is not, unless express written consent of the copyright owner is provided. Permission will be subject to the same conditions as the movie.
- Each entrant may submit up to three movies for judging. A completed and signed official entry form, facsimile, or complete Internet entry form must be used.
- Entries must be received no later than April 30, 2018 to be eligible for prizes.
- Please send all correspondence to Nikon’s Small World Competition, Nikon Instruments Inc., 1300 Walt Whitman Road, Melville, NY 11747-3064 USA or email [email protected]
- Prizewinners will be notified by August 15, 2018.
- The decision of Nikon’s panel of judges will be final.
- All files will be retained by Nikon Instruments Inc., and cannot be returned.
- If your entry is selected by Nikon as a winning movie, you will give non-exclusive rights to Nikon to use your name and the movie in connection with the competition. You also certify that you hold the rights to grant such permission. Winning movies will only be used in connection with the Nikon Small World Competition and accompanying publicity and will include appropriate photo credits.
- Contestants will be notified regarding usage should Nikon be approached with any commercial opportunities related to a submitted movie or movies.
- All reasonable care will be taken in handling digital files, but Nikon Instruments Inc. will not assume any responsibility for their loss or damage.
- Offer void where prohibited.
- Taxes, if any, on prizes are the sole responsibility of the prizewinner.
- Failure to comply with and accept all of the preceding rules will disqualify any entry.
Selection Criteria: Entries will be judged on:
- Informational Content
- Technical Proficiency
- Artistic and Visual Impact
Number of Awardees: 3
Value of Contest: Winners will be awarded one of three prizes, sorted according to rank in the competition. First prize is $3,000 toward the purchase of Nikon equipment.
How to Apply: Contestants may enter the Competition by uploading video files directly to MicroscopyU.com.
Before you begin, read the Contest Rules and prepare your movies for uploading according to the instructions.
Award Provider: Nikon
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
10 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do
This One Skill Will Increase Your Value by at least 50%
10 Common Scholarship Interview Questions And How to Answer Them