Women’s Leadership Accelerator for Women in Digital Journalism 2017 – University of Southern California
Online News Association’s 2017 Women’s Leadership Accelerator is a weeklong forum aimed squarely at developing strong leadership skills for women working in digital journalism.
Application Timeline: Applications close: 15th November 2016
Participants notified: mid-December
Women’s Leadership Accelerator: Feb. 5-10, 2017
Eligible Countries: All
To be taken at (country): USA
About the Award: The Accelerator, to be held Feb. 5-10, 2017, at the University of Southern California’s Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism, is open to 25 promising women leaders who are pushing innovation in their organization.
In addition to learning leadership skills and tools for navigating change, participants will focus on a challenge specific to their careers, whether an obstacle to overcome or an aspirational goal to achieve, either within their organizations or as an independent project.
The tuition-free program offers:
- A focus on developing leadership and management skills, with special attention to challenges faced by women in media
- Discussions, deep dives and one-on-one mentoring from some of the top women leaders in digital journalism
- Proven creative approaches to pushing innovation in newsrooms
- Practical, targeted guidance to working through individual challenges
- Open, candid discussions about leadership, work-life balance and problem-solving in the newsroom
- The opportunity to build a cohort of peers to serve as a strong career-long support system
Type: Entrepreneurship, Training
- The programme is open to English-speaking women from around the world.
- The Accelerator, supported by a generous grant from the Dow Jones Foundation, is open to practitioners working in digital media, including freelancers, entrepreneurs and independent journalists.
Selection Criteria: ONA will screen candidates for potential, need and diversity across ethnicity, age, geography, technology platforms and skill sets.
Number of Awardees: 25
Value of Programme: Thanks to the generous support of lead funder, the Dow Jones Foundation, and support from Google, the Women’s Leadership Accelerator training is tuition-free. We also provide breakfast, lunch and some dinners throughout the week. Participants will cover their own travel and accommodation costs. ONA has secured a hotel within walking distance of USC Annenberg that with a special room rate of $175 a night, so an estimated budget for accommodations is $1,000 ($875 for five nights, plus taxes and any hotel fees).
We realize that not everyone has a newsroom to fund them or an organization with a budget for professional development, so we’re happy to be able by offering a limited number of travel stipends to participants who need them.
Duration of Programme: Feb. 5-10, 2017
How to Apply: Apply here
Award Provider: Online News Association