The Faculty of Science and its alumni association Science@Leuven are proud to announce the Science@Leuven Scholarships for the 2020/2021 academic session! The Science@Leuven Scholarships are for motivated and talented international students who are interested in participating in an international master programme of the Faculty of Science of the K.U.Leuven.
Application Deadline: 15th February 2020
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: International
To be taken at (country): Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
Eligible Fields of Study: Eligible International Master Programme under the Faculty of Science at K.U. Leuven:
• Master of Astronomy and Astrophysics
• Master of Biology
• Master of Biophysics, Biochemistry and Biotechnology
• Master of Chemistry
• Master of Geography
• Master of Mathematics
• Master of Physics
• Master of Statistics
• Interuniversity Master of Geology (only students applying for the specialisation Geodynamics and Georesources or Surface processes and Paleoenvironments can apply for the scholarship)
• Erasmus Mundus Master of Theoretical Chemistry and Computational Modelling
• Erasmus Mundus Master Sustainable and Territorial Development
Eligibility: Candidates must meet and prove the following requirements:
• the applicants have not studied or worked at the University of Leuven before,
• the applicants have a bachelor degree from a foreign university that gives them access to the master programme they are applying for,
• the applicants have not yet acquired a master degree or a PhD,
• the applicants can prove having had excellent study results during their former training,
• the applicants can prove a very strong knowledge of English,
• the applicants show strong motivation to follow a master programme at the Faculty of Science of the K.U.Leuven
• the applicants are willing to act as an ambassador for the programme.
Selection: The selection procedure involves several steps:
- The applicants go through the admission procedure of the Master Programme of their choice. Only students admitted to a Master Programme of the Faculty of Science are considered for the scholarship.
- The applicants with a complete file and meeting all the necessary requirements are selected for the first round.
- The list of applicants per master programme is sent to the respective programme director who ranks the students eligible for the Scholarship.
- The selection committee receives the list of the selected applicants per programme and agrees on a ranking of all the applicants.
- The selection committee selects a number of students to be interviewed via skype.
- The selected applicants are interviewed via skype
- The selection committee makes a final ranking of all the candidates that have been interviewed.
- The Board of the Science@Leuven Fund defines how many scholarships are available and awards the scholarships.
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Scholarship: The amount of the scholarship can be up to 10.000 Euro for 1 year. The scholarship will always cover the tuition fee for 1 year, the insurance and a basic health insurance coverage. The amount awarded for living expenses can vary.
Duration of Scholarship: 1 year. Most master programmes of the Faculty of Science are 2-year programmes. The scholarship for the second master year will be only be continued for students having had outstanding results the first master year.
How to Apply:
- Apply for the master programme of your choice through the application tool of the KU Leuven.
- In the application form you have to apply for the Science@Leuven Scholarship by looking for the scholarship in the drop-down box. Do not forget this step or we will not know that you are applying for the scholarship!
- upload all the necessary information via the KU Leuven application tool.
- It is VERY IMPORTANT to follow all instructions before applying.