Win a Scholarship. Apply for the Reach Cambridge Summer Scholarship Essay Competition 2020
The Reach Cambridge Summer scholarship essay competition is designed for academically excellent high school students aged between 15 and 17 who would otherwise not be able to attend the School’s summer programmes. Please note that this scholarship competition is not for application to the University of Cambridge.
Application Deadline: 17th November 2019 23:00 GMT.
“What is the primary issue facing society today and what can we do to effect positive change in this area?”
To craft a good essay requires careful argumentation, clear structure and originality. It is this set of characteristics that we will look for when judging applicants’ essays. We will also take into account the letter of recommendation supplied by your school and the short video personal statement.
Eligible Countries: International
To be taken at (country): Cambridge University, UK
- Applicants must be between the ages of 15 and 17 on 17th November 2019, and currently studying at high school.
- The students must complete the essays independently – they must be original, non-plagiarised work.
- The closing date for scholarship applications is 17th November 2019 at 23:00 GMT. We will only consider full applications submitted by this date. A full application is one that includes an answer to the essay question and all other questions on the “Scholarship” tab, the letter of recommendation from your school, link to the video personal statement and also has the following sections completed on the account page: School Transcript, Signature, Parent Info, School Info.
- Applicants from fee-paying schools will only be considered if their letter of recommendation confirms that they attend the school on a scholarship.
- The prizes provide, without charge, all those items ordinarily covered by the program fee, including accommodation, all excursions, lectures, theatre trips, workshops and tuition, and half board meals.
- These prizes do not include those items which are not ordinarily covered by the program fee: flights; transportation to/from Cambridge at the start and end of the program if travel is undertaken independently; third meal of the day (half board is provided); optional enhancements shown to have an extra fee (such as taster courses and add-ons); snacks, drinks and meals purchased away from the program; pocket money and souvenirs; books for credit courses and classes; laundry (aside from bed linen); travel insurance, medical insurance and any medical or dental fees.
- It is not guaranteed that Reach Cambridge will offer scholarship prizes to any of the candidates. Reach Cambridge reserves the right to not award scholarship prizes.
- Shortlisted candidates will be notified by 10th December 2019.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited for an online interview in mid-December, and will be notified of the outcome of the competition no later than early January.
- The author of the students’ recommendation letter may be contacted for further information.
- The final decision on prizewinners rests with Reach Cambridge Ltd. By submitting an application for the scholarship the student agrees to respect and honour the decision made by Reach Cambridge.
- By submitting an application to the scholarship competition, the student agrees to assist with promoting the scholarship scheme if awarded a prize.
- The successful applicant also agrees to their name being published on the Reach Cambridge website, as well as on its social media pages.
- The student must have permission from a parent or guardian to accept the scholarship. Scholarship prizes are conditional on parental approval – a parent/guardian will be required to sign a declaration that they accept the Reach Cambridge terms and conditions and rules and regulations.
- By applying for this scholarship, the student agrees to abide by the Reach Cambridge terms and conditions and rules and regulations, available on our website, as well as these scholarship terms and conditions.
- Students do not have to pay a deposit before applying for the scholarship.
- Please note that all terms and conditions for Reach Cambridge programs, including the cancellation policy, also apply for scholarship applicants.
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Contest:
Full scholarship: A fully-funded scholarship prize for one of our 2-week Programs.
Full Scholarships available in 2020:
- Summer: Up to 3 scholarships available
- Spring: Up to 6 scholarships available
Partial scholarship: A partially funded (50%) scholarship prize for one of our 2-week Programs in either Spring or Summer 2020.
Please note that both prizes include all those items ordinarily covered by the program fee. They do not include the cost of flights, or other items, which are not ordinarily covered by the program fee. See terms & conditions for further details.
How to Apply: In order to enter the competition, follow these simple steps to complete a full application by 23:00 GMT on 17th November 2019.
- Follow the link below to set up a Reach Cambridge scholarship account (do not use the “apply” button at the top right of our website – you cannot set up a scholarship account through that link).
- From your main account page, select the “Scholarship” tab on the left.
- Copy your essay into the box provided (the word limit is 750 words). Answer all other questions on the page.
- A letter of recommendation from a member of staff at your school must be sent to [email protected] directly, using an official school email address. This should be written on headed paper, and should outline why you are a good candidate for the scholarship: it should tell us what makes you academically excellent, and it must give us some indication of your financial circumstances. For example, if you attend a fee-paying school, the letter must specify whether you attend the school on a scholarship, or whether you are full or part fee-paying. It must include contact details for the member of staff so that we can contact them for further information if necessary. This is the only part of the application that should come from your school – the rest needs to be completed by you.
- A short (up to 3 minute long) video should be submitted in form of a YouTube link as your personal statement. It is a chance for you to tell us a bit about yourself, why do you think you are the best scholarship candidate and how would coming to Reach Cambridge affect your life.
- You must also complete the School Transcript, Signature, Parent Info, and School Information sections of your account. Please note that if you do not complete all these sections of your application, we will not consider your application. They should all be “ticked” on your account page before the deadline.
- Due to the number of applications received, we are unable to notify unsuccessful candidates.
- Shortlisted candidates will be notified by 10th December 2019, and will be invited for an online interview.
- If you have any additional questions, please email [email protected] .
Please ensure you read the scholarship essay competition terms and conditions before applying. By submitting an application you are agreeing to these terms and conditions.
Please ensure you read the Reach Cambridge Summer Scholarship Essay competition terms and conditions before applying. By submitting an application you are agreeing to these terms and conditions.
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
10 Lessons We Learned From Self Publishing a Book
Top 10 Highest Paying Engineering Jobs in the World
5 IMPORTANT WAYS JOBS WILL CHANGE IN THE 4TH INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION