What images, emotions or memories come to mind when you think of the word ‘Peace’? Children around the world are invited to capture its meaning for this year’s Commonwealth Class Short Story Writing Competition. The competition offers a unique opportunity for students to become part of the Commonwealth’s rich storytelling heritage and to be in with the chance of winning some great prizes!
Application Deadline: 2nd January 2018.
Eligible Countries: Commonwealth countries
To be taken at (country): Candidate’s Home Country
About the Award: This competition is operated by the British Council to publicise the Commonwealth Class programme and to increase participation amongst pupils aged 7-14 years in Commonwealth Countries. It will be open to two age categories – 7-10 year olds and 11-14 year olds.
Eligibility: The Competition is open to residents of a Commonwealth country aged between 7 and 14 years. As the entrants are under the age of 18 years, his/her entry must be submitted on their behalf by a
parent/guardian over the age of 18 years who, in submitting the entry, agrees to and accepts these Competition Rules:
- Only one entry per person is allowed.
- The theme of the story is ‘Peace’.
- The story must be written in English.
- The maximum word limit of the stories is:
- 300 words from 7-10 year olds
- 500 words from 11-14 year olds
- Entry to the Competition is free of charge although entrants are responsible for any costs associated with entry.
- All entries must be submitted online.
Selection Process: Entries will be shortlisted and judged by a panel of judges selected by British Council in the UK.
Value of Contest: The following prizes will be given to students awarded first, second and third place in the competition:
- The 1st prize winner will receive a £100 book token or equivalent voucher and a certificate.
- The 2nd prize winner will receive a £50 book token or equivalent voucher and a certificate, and
- The 3rd prize winner will receive a £30 book token or equivalent voucher and a certificate.
Prizes are personal to the winners and cannot be transferred to any third party. Prizes cannot be exchanged for money or any other goods or services.
How to Apply: Participants are invited to write a story set in their own country and can enter one of two age categories (7-10 year olds or 11-14 year olds). Students must adhere to the competition rules, which include eligibility criteria (see above) and submit their story via the online form (see ‘Enter now’ link below).
How should students approach the theme of ‘Peace’ in their writing? They could go for a story that is personal, magical, funny or scary. The possibilities are simply endless.
Award Provider: The Commonwealth