UN-Habitat’s World Habitat Awards for Innovative Housing Solutions 2018
Applications are now being accepted for the World Habitat Awards 2017-2018 competition, for practical, innovative and sustainable solutions to current housing issues worldwide.
Application Deadline: 1st March, 2018.
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: All
About the Award: Every year a prize of £10,000 and an award are given to two winners – projects that provide practical and innovative solutions to current housing needs and problems. The awards are presented at a UN-Habitat global event.
Offered Since: 1985
Eligibility: Housing projects and approaches are sought that
- demonstrate practical, innovative and sustainable solutions to current housing issues faced by countries all around the world
- can be transferred or adapted for use as appropriate
- are already being implemented or are completed ie not at design stage or very early stages of development
- view the term habitat from a broad perspective and bring other benefits as well, such as energy or water saving, income generation, social inclusion, community and individual empowerment, health benefits, capacity building or education.
- Any individual, organisation or government who has an innovative and practical solution to housing needs and problems from any country of the world.
- More than one entry can be made by the same individual or organisation.
- Entries should relate to housing projects and processes that are either completed or in progress. Those that are at design stage only or in the very early stages of development cannot be considered.
- Previous entrants can re-submit in subsequent years providing that the project has been further developed in the intervening time period.
Selection Process: All entries are assessed and up to 12 projects are shortlisted by an assessment committee. These shortlisted projects are then evaluated by an independent advisory group.
Evaluation visits are made to some of the shortlisted projects before recommendations are put forward to a panel of external judges, including the Executive Director of the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT).
Number of Awardees: 2
Value of Award: £10,000 as well as international recognition. Trophies will also be presented and one representative of each winning project will be invited to attend the awards ceremony.
How to Apply: Apply now for the chance to gain recognition for your work.
Award Provider: Building and Social Housing Foundation (BSHF)
Important Notes: Projects at design/prototype stage or completed over ten years ago will not be considered.