Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (DAFF) Bursary Awards 2020 for South African Students
The Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (DAFF) intends to award comprehensive bursaries to qualifying applicants pursuing and/or intending to further their studies in a career in the agricultural, forestry and fisheries sectors for the 2020 academic year.
Application Deadline: 30th September 2019
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: South Africa
To be taken at (country): South Africa
Eligible Fields of Study: 1. B.Sc. Bioresource Engineering (Agricultural Engineering) 2. Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc.), 3. B.Sc. Viticulture and Oenology 4. B.Sc. Plant Pathology 5. B.Sc. Entomology 6. B.Sc. Forestry and Wood Science 7. B.Sc. Marine Biology 8. B.Sc. Oceanography and Marine Biology 9. B.Sc. Ichthyology specialising in Aquaculture, National Diploma: Food Technology 11. National Diploma: Forestry 12. National Diploma: Marine Science.
Postgraduate studies (B.Tech, B.Sc., Hons., M.Tech., M.Sc., D.Tech. and Ph.D.) in different agricultural, forestry and fisheries fields of study relating to DAFF priority research projects.
About the Award: The bursary awards target the previously disadvantaged and impoverished persons from poverty-stricken and rural communities. People with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Successful candidates will be appointed as interns and placed with the relevant industry/research institution/institution of higher learning as young professionals. Successful candidates will also be allocated a mentor and will receive a monthly allowance from the department
Type: Bachelors, Masters and PhD
- It is worth noting that certain fields of study are only available at certain institutions of higher learning:
- B.Sc. Bioresource Engineering (Agricultural Engineering): University of KwaZulu-Natal
- Bachelor of Veterinary Science (B.V.Sc.): University of Pretoria
- B.Sc. Viticulture and Oenology: University of Stellenbosch
- B.Sc. Forestry and Wood Science: University of Stellenbosch
- B.Sc. Oceanography and Marine Biology: University of Cape Town
- B.Sc. Ichthyology specialising in Aquaculture: Rhodes University
- B.Sc. Entomology: University of Pretoria, Free State and Fort Hare
- National Diploma: Forestry: Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
- National Diploma: Marine Science: Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- Applicants must be South African citizens.
- Applicants must complete the relevant bursary application forms available from the website address: www.daff.gov.za (Click the following: Food Security and Agrarian Reform Branch then Sector Education and Training and then Careers).
- Applicants who apply for fields of study that are not listed above will not be considered.
- Please note that communication will be limited to successful applicants only. If you have not received any communication from the department by 15 January 2020, after the National Bursary Committee has finalised the selection process, consider your application unsuccessful.
- All completed bursary application forms together with certified copies of ID and certificates/performance results should be sent to the following address:
- The Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries reserves the right to determine the total number of bursary allocations for the academic year based on the total budget available.
- The National Bursary Committee will make use of the Bursary Scheme’s 14-point system to allocate points to shortlisted applicants.
- The Bursary Scheme of the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries is in fulfillment of the sector strategic objective of elimination of skewed participation in the agricultural, forestry and fisheries sectors.
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Bursary: The bursary will cover tuition, accommodation, books, meals and monthly allowance.
Duration of Bursary: Duration of course
How to Apply:
Visit Bursary Webpage to learn to apply