Wellcome Trust Investigator Awards in Humanities and Social Science 2017 for Developing Countries
Wellcome Trust is offering awards for research applicants from a low- or middle-income country within Sub-Saharan Africa, South-east Asia or South Asia.
- Preliminary application deadline: 4th July 2017
- Full application deadline: 19th September 2017
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Countries in Africa and Asia
To be taken at (country): UK, Republic of Ireland, Low- and middle-income countries
Eligible Field of Study: The Wellcome Trust provides funding for new approaches or collaborations in the humanities and social sciences that enrich understanding in human and animal health.
About the Award: Seed Awards help researchers develop compelling and innovative ideas that may go on to form part of larger grant applications.
- You can apply for an Investigator Award if you’re a researcher at any stage of your career, for example a newly appointed lecturer, a mid-career researcher, or a senior or emeritus professor.
- You must hold an established post.
- We’ll consider your application according to your career stage and experience. If you’ve been away from research (eg for a career break, maternity leave or long-term sick leave), we’ll allow for this when we consider your application.
- If you’re at an early stage in your career, you should be able to show that you can innovate and drive advances in your field of study and demonstrate considerable potential. Your research, funding and training track records should be good relative to your career stage.
If you’re a mid-career or senior researcher, you should have achieved more in terms of:
- the originality and impact of your research
- your track record in gaining research grant support
- your success in training and mentoring others.
Senior researchers should be internationally recognised as leaders in their fields.
You should have:
- a permanent, open-ended or long-term rolling contract, salaried by your host organisation in the UK, Republic of Ireland or a low- or middle-income country
- a written guarantee of an established academic post at a host organisation, which you will take up by the start of the award.
- You should also have a statement of commitment from a senior member of your organisation and a relevant research project.
- We welcome joint applications where a project will benefit from the complementary expertise of two researchers. Please contact us for advice before you apply.
- If you’ve already been unsuccessful with an application for this scheme, please contact us before you apply again.
Selection Criteria: Our reviewers will assess:
- your track record relative to your career stage and research experience – they will take any periods of part-time work, career breaks or time out of academic research into account
- your reputation in your area of expertise
- the importance of your research question(s)
- the feasibility of your proposal
- the suitability of your research environment.
Number of Awardees: Several
Value of Fellowship: From under £300,000 to around £1 million
Duration of Fellowship: Up to 5 years
How to Apply: Visit Fellowship Webpage to apply
Award Provider: Wellcome Trust, UK
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
Don’t Take This Common Advice If…
7 Lessons from the 2020 Pandemic and Economic Threat
How Africa Went from 0 to 69,000 COVID 19 Cases (15 Feb to 12 May 2020)