Research Training Fellowship for Developing Country Scientists (RTF-DCS) (Fully-funded to India) 2018
The Department of Science & Technology (DST) now invites applications from the eligible researchers of the developing countries for the 3rd Phase (1st April 2018- 31st March 2023) of the RTF-DCS scheme.
Application Deadline: 30th November 2018
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Any developing country
To be taken at (country): India
Fields of Study: Agricultural Sciences; Biological and Medical Sciences; Chemical Sciences; Physical Sciences and Mathematics; Earth Sciences; Engineering Sciences; Materials, Minerals and Metallurgy; and Multi-disciplinary and other areas.
About the Award: The RTF-DCS is a India-destination Fellowship with the following objectives:
- To promote mobility of scientists and researchers from the developing countries into India and provide them opportunity to work at Indian R&D/academic institutions to upgrade their research skills and expertise.
- To facilitate exchange of information and contacts between the scientists and researchers of India and other developing countries and create a network for building research collaborations.
As a spin off, the Fellows may also have opportunity to get co-supervisors from India for their research projects for Ph.D. or M. Tech. degree on their return to their home countries.
Type: Research, Fellowship
- Applicant should possess at least a Post Graduate Degree in any Natural Science subject or an equivalent degree in Technology / Engineering / Medicine / allied disciplines.
- 2. Applicant should be working / studying and / or affiliated to any national R&D or academic institution in his/ her home country. The application should be endorsed by the Head of his/ her institution confirming that if selected, he/ she will be sanctioned leave for the Fellowship period and will join his/ her duties back in the institution on completion of the Fellowship in India.
- 3. The upper age limit for the applicant is 45 years as on date of submitting the application form.
- 4. Indian nationals are not eligible for the Fellowship.
Selection Criteria: Selection will be made by a High-Level Selection Committee based on the quality of the research proposal submitted by the applicant and their academic merit.
Number of Awardees: 60
Value of Fellowship: Full financial assistance will be provided to the selected Fellows which will include the following:-
- Round trip international airfare @ Rs. 60,000/- (on actuals) by excursion/ economy class and by shortest route from the international airport in the home country to the international airport nearest to the host institution.
- A consolidated Fellowship amount of Indian Rupees (INR) 50,000 per month (non-taxable) for accommodation, meals and other miscellaneous expenses
- One-time grant of INR 30,000/- (subject to actual) for research contingency expenses, chemicals and consumables, airport transfers and domestic travel for attending conferences / seminars etc in India;
- Overhead charges of Rs. 20,000/- to Indian host institute
- 2. The selected Fellow will take an appropriate policy for health insurance coverage for the period of stay in India. The cost for taking the insurance policy is not reimbursable under the scheme.
- The FICCI, New Delhi will purchase the air ticket for his/ her travel to India only after receiving the insurance policy document of the selected Fellow.
The selected Fellow must take vaccinations (such as Yellow Fever, Polio etc.), as may be required under Government of India guidelines.
Individual Fellow, or his/ her government / institution, is required to bear the following costs:
- a. All expenses in the home country incidental to travel abroad, including expenditure incurred to obtain passport and visa and for medical examinations and vaccinations as may be required as well as other miscellaneous expenses such as internal travel to/from the international airport of departure in the home country.
- b. Salary and other related allowances in the home country, if applicable, during the Fellowship period.
- c. Cost towards the medical insurance to cover the period of Fellowship in India.
Obligations of the RTF-DCS fellows
: The Fellows will observe the regulations and procedures stipulated below. If they fail to do so, the Fellowship shall be withdrawn.
- a. During their tenures, Fellows shall not, either in or outside the host institution, infringe in any way on the human rights of others, including racial or gender discrimination or other forms of abuse.
- b. Fellows shall stay in India continuously during the tenure of the fellowship and concentrate on their scientific work at the host institution. Fellows shall not engage in other work, either paid or unpaid, during their tenure.
- c. The Fellows shall follow the rules of the host institution and shall not undertake any acts of research misconduct, e.g., fabricating or falsifying research results and misuse of research funds
- d. A Fellow shall submit a research report to the NAM S&T Centre on completion of his/ her tenure.
Duration of Fellowship:
- The Fellowship will be for a period of six months, but minor variation in the duration may be allowed with prior approval of DST depending upon the actual requirement of the research project as mutually agreed between the Fellow and the host institution.
- Therefore the interested applicants must be sure about their availability for six months if selected for this Fellowship.
How to Apply: Application for the award of the Fellowship should be submitted ONLINE only along with the following documents to be uploaded:
- Curriculum Vitae (in pdf format, not more than two Pages), including Professional and Research Experience and a list of latest publications
- Recent Passport size Photograph.
- Copy of Relevant Pages of Passport
- Copy of an endorsement (prescribed format) from present employer, duly filled in and signed, along with Signature of the applicant.
- A copy of the letter / email from any Indian scientist/institution with consent to accept you to work with them.
- Only electronic online submitted application will be accepted. Hard copies of the application by post/ courier/ FAX are neither required nor will be considered.
Award Provider:The Phase-III of the RTF-DCS Program shall be managed and implemented by Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI), New Delhi