United Nations University-EGOV International Fellowship for Government Officials 2018 – Portugal
The UNU Operating Unit on Policy-Driven Electronic Governance (UNU-EGOV) is inviting applications for its Fellowship for a period of three months in 2019.
Application Deadline: 22nd July 2018
Eligible Countries: International
To Be Taken At (Country): Guimarães, Portugal
About the Award: The central purpose of the United Nations University Operating Unit on Policy-Driven Electronic Governance (UNU-EGOV), located in Guimarães and hosted by the University of Minho, is to support the Member States of the United Nations in transforming the mechanisms of governance and building effective governance capabilities through strategic applications of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) to contribute to sustainable development, social inclusion, and active citizenship.
Successful candidates will join international and multidisciplinary project teams supervised by UNU-EGOV staff and comprising research, postdoctoral, academic, and government fellows.
The responsibilities will include:
- developing real-life case studies, supported by experience of the applicant’s own organisation and research developed at UNU-EGOV
- translating research results into relevant policy instruments
- applying and validating the instruments in the own organisation/country
- developing and reviewing project deliverables
- disseminating project results in the own organisation/country
- contributing to further development of UNU-EGOV
Fields of Research: The candidate’s research interests should be aligned with at least one of the following research areas of the UNU-EGOV core research programme:
- Managing e-governance: EGOV strategy and methodologies; EGOV diagnostic, measurement, and assessment; EGOV instruments and policies
- Digital transformation for sustainable governance:
2.1. Socio economic impact of digital governance: shadow economy; administrative burden reduction (ease of doing business); EGOV and entrepreneurship ecosystem
2.2. Smart governance for sustainable cities and communities: smart governance; smart city index; smart city platforms.
2.3. Digital media and digital democracy: digital media and technologies for e-participation; use of ccc technology for civic engagement.
2.4. Digital certification and preservation of digital memory: data and information authentication, electronic identity management (electronic identity and digital signatures).
2.5. Emerging technologies for digital transformation of the public sphere
- Digital governance evolution: how to translate theories into practice; collaborative research.
Eligibility: Required qualifications and experience include:
- completed bachelor’s or master’s degree in Informatics, Information Systems, Public Administration, Public Policy, Development Management, Economics, Communication Sciences, Sociology, Law, or a related discipline
- civil servant or international civil servant status within public administration, government or intergovernmental organisation, holding executive or professional responsibility for public sector technology, modernization and innovation
- national- or international-level policy and project experience
- knowledge of the public sector and public policy issues
- fluency in spoken and written English
Competencies: Required competencies include:
- ability to work in a team and result-orientation
- excellent organisational and communication skills
- ability to work in a multicultural and multi-ethnic environment
- dedication to the core UN values – integrity, professionalism, and respect for diversity
Applications from suitably qualified women candidates are particularly encouraged.
Number of Awards: UNU-EGOV is recruiting 12 Government Fellows for a period of three months to contribute to its research, projects, and activities. Three (3) Government Fellows will be recruited for every period starting on 1 October 2018, 1 January 2019, 1 April 2019, and 1 July 2019.
Value of Award: A monthly payment of EUR 745 and free accommodation in Guimarães (except utility costs) will be provided. However, it is expected that the applicant’s own organisation will cover the costs related to travel between the home location and Guimarães as well as medical, life, and travel insurance.
Duration of Programme: Three months
How to Apply: Interested applicants should submit their applications (in English) by email to email@example.com indicating the reference number of the vacancy announcement (2018/UNU/EGOV/CTC/GF/53) and must include the following in the link below