AREF Research Development Fellowship 2020 for Sub-Sahara African Researchers
The AREF Research Development Fellowship (RDF) Programme is being launched to support African researchers who are working on important challenges for human health in Africa.
Application Deadline: 23rd September 2020 12:00 GMT
Eligible Countries: sub-Sahara African countries
To be taken at (country): Europe or Africa
Eligible Field of Study: Not specified
About the Award: AREF Research Fellowship is designed to enable talented, early-career African researchers to develop their own research ideas and specialist skills, to grow their research relationships through collaboration and mentorship, and to work towards a major funding proposal. This year, funding will be made available for a “planned follow-through” in the awardee’s home institution.
The AREF RDF Programme aims to enhance the research competitiveness of emerging African researchers who are working on important challenges for human health in Africa. In 2020, these challenges will include infectious disease and non-communicable diseases. AREF’s goal is to transform the opportunities for up to 15 talented postdoctoral scientists in Africa in 2020 to contribute to reducing the burden of disease through leading research that is responsive to African settings.
The RDF Programme enables talented early-career researchers to:
- acquire advanced research skills
- develop and test their own compelling research questions
- develop highly effective mentoring relationships
- grow their potential collaborations
- raise their profile through international networking
Offered Since: 2015
Type: Research Fellowship
Eligibility: Research active post-doctoral scientists and clinicians who are nationals of and employed in Sub-Saharan Africa who were awarded their doctorate after May 2014; and clinicians without a doctorate but who have a research-relevant Master’s degree and at least two and up to seven years active research experience.
- Applicants will need to demonstrate a credible, ambitious vision for their research career in an area of human-health challenge for Africa; and a transformational, well-supported development plan that would be significantly enhanced by the RDF Programme. Potential applicants are strongly encouraged to discuss their plans at an early stage with their employing and potential host organisations.
- Equality and diversity are core values of AREF and we encourage applications by scientists irrespective of gender, colour, race, or creed. We strongly welcome eligible applicants from francophone and lusophone countries as well as from anglophone countries.
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Fellowship: A three to nine-month placement at a leading research institution in Europe or Africa, with additional support at your home institution before and after the placement, up to a maximum of £38,000.
Duration of Fellowship: Three(3) to nine (9) months
How to Apply: Read the information below, and download the Application Form, Information for Applicants and Cost & Finance Spreadsheet, and email to [email protected] before 12:00 GMT 23 September 2020