Application Deadline 15th September 2016.
However, The deadline for submitting requests for an acceptance letter to the Dean of the Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS), USM is 1 September 2016. Therefore, please apply for the acceptance letter from the IPS Dean before this date.
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Developing countries (excluding Malaysia)
To be taken at (country): Universiti Sains Malaysia
Brief description: The TWAS-USM Fellowship is awarded to applicants who desire to undertake studies leading to a PhD degree in the natural sciences listed below.
Eligible Field of Study: Agricultural Sciences, Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology, Biological Systems and Organisms, Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences, Chemical Sciences, Engineering Sciences, Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Physics.
About the Award: The World Academy of Science in collaboration with Universiti Sains Malaysia is offering fellowship awards to science-inclined individuals from developing nations who wish to pursue their PhD program in natural sciences.
Offered Since: Not stated
Type: Postgraduate (Doctoral) Fellowship programme in Malaysia
- Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than Malaysia).
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Malaysia or any developed country.
- Hold a Master’s degree in a field of natural sciences.
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship.
- Applicants must submit the Preliminary Acceptance Letter from the Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS), USM when applying to TWAS or by the deadline at the latest. Without Preliminary Acceptance Letter, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Reference letters must be on letter-headed paper, SIGNED and sent as attachments via e-mail to TWAS and USM. The subject line must contain USM/PG/ and the candidate’s surname. N.B. Only signed reference letters can be accepted. The letters can be submitted either by the referee or by the applicant directly.
- Applicants for the TWAS-USM Postgraduate Fellowship Programme should send their application to TWAS and USM (by email).
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Scholarship: There will be provision of a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation and food.
Duration of Scholarship: Up to 3 years
How to Apply:
- Provide an official Acceptance Letter from the USM Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS) (see sample on page 5 of the application form). Requests for Acceptance Letters must be directed to Prof. Rozman Hj Din, Dean, Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS) (at emails: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org) who will facilitate assignment of a host supervisor. The acceptance letter must come from the IPS Dean (and not from any Head of Department or supervisors at USM).
- In contacting the IPS Dean applicants must accompany their request for an Acceptance Letter with ALL the following documents:
– copy of an updated CV;
– a short write-up of research proposal (maximum 5 pages);
– scanned copies of certificates, academic transcripts (certified true copy of Bachelor and Master degree certificates) with CGPA 3.5 and above and related credentials;
– two referee letters;
– provide evidence of proficiency in English (TOFEL or IELTS);
– a scanned copy of the front page of their publications.
- Only requests for acceptance letters that contain ALL the above required documents will be processed by the IPS, USM.
- NB: Acceptance letter will not be issued by the Dean of IPS, USM after 1 September.
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship.
Award Provider: The World Academy of Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia
Important Notes: The award of the fellowship is subject to obtaining in due course a final offer letter of admission from USM that must be approved by the relevant USM School.