TWAS/USM Postgraduate Fellowship 2019 for Young Scientists in Developing Countries – Malaysia
The TWAS-USM Fellowship is awarded to young scientists from developing countries (other than Malaysia) who wish to pursue studies towards a PhD degree in the natural sciences at the Universiti Sains Malaysia.
Application Deadline 15th July 2019.
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Developing countries (excluding Malaysia)
To be taken at (country): Universiti Sains Malaysia, Malaysia.
Eligible Field of Study: Agricultural Sciences, Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology, Biological Systems and Organisms, Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences, Chemical Sciences, Engineering Sciences, Astronomy, Space and Earth Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Physics.
About the Award: The World Academy of Science in collaboration with Universiti Sains Malaysia is offering fellowship awards to science-inclined individuals from developing nations who wish to pursue their PhD program in natural sciences.
Type: PhD, Fellowship
Eligibility: Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than Malaysia).
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Malaysia or any developed country.
- Hold a Master’s degree in a field of natural sciences.
- Provide an official Acceptance Letter from the USM Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS). Requests for Acceptance Letters must be directed to Prof. Rozman Hj Din, Dean, Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS) (at emails: [email protected] and [email protected] ) who will facilitate assignment of a host supervisor. The acceptance letter must come from the IPS Dean (and not from any Head of Department or supervisors at USM).
- In contacting the IPS Dean applicants must accompany their request for an Acceptance Letter with ALL the following documents:
– copy of an updated CV;
– a short write-up of research proposal (maximum 5 pages);
– scanned copies of certificates, academic transcripts (certified true copy of Bachelor and Master degree certificates) with CGPA 3.5 and above and related credentials;
– two referee letters;
– provide evidence of proficiency in English (TOFEL or IELTS);
– a scanned copy of the front page of their publications.
Only requests for acceptance letters that contain ALL the above required documents will be processed by the IPS, USM.
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English (TOFEL or IELTS).
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship.
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Scholarship: USM will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation, food and health insurance.
Duration of Scholarship: Up to 3 years
How to Apply:
- Applicants must submit the Preliminary Acceptance Letter from the Institute of Postgraduate Studies (IPS), USM when applying to TWAS or by the deadline at the latest. Without Preliminary Acceptance Letter, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Applications for the TWAS-USM Postgraduate Fellowship Programme can ONLY be submitted via the online portal.
- It is important to go through all application requirements on the Programme Webpage (see link below) before applying
Important Notes: The award of the fellowship is subject to obtaining in due course a final offer letter of admission from USM that must be approved by the relevant USM School.