The Mandela Rhodes Scholarships are open for African citizens to study for postgraduate (Honors and Masters) degree at South African Universities 2024
Application Deadline: 20th April 2023
Eligible Countries: open to citizens of all African countries
To be taken at (country): South African universities or tertiary institutions
About Mandela Rhodes Scholarships: The Mandela Rhodes Scholarships Programme combines financial support for postgraduate studies and a high-quality leadership development programme, to build exceptional leadership capacity in Africa.
A Mandela Rhodes Scholarship enables a Scholar to study at a South African tertiary institution registered with the South African Council on Higher Education for an accredited postgraduate degree programme. The Scholarship is awarded for one or a maximum of two years, currently for an Honours or Masters degree.
Areas of Study: The leadership development programme comprises the following three components.
- Three residential workshops
- Three regional group pods
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- The Mandela Rhodes Scholarships are open to citizens of all African countries
- The Scholarship is for postgraduate study at South African universities or tertiary institutions
- Full funding is for Honours (maximum one year) or Masters (up to a maximum of two years) or their equivalents (MBA’s excluded)
- Any individual who will be between the ages of 19 and 30 years at the time of taking up the Scholarship may apply
- Applicants must possess a first degree or its equivalent or must be in the process of completing one by 31 January 2021
- Applicants should have a history of well-above average-academic results
- Individuals that reflect in their character a commitment to the four principles of Education, Reconciliation, Leadership and Entrepreneurship
- The MRF leadership development activities sometimes include weekends. It is a condition of the Scholarship that attendance is compulsory
Number of Scholarships: Several
Value of Mandela Rhodes Scholarships: The Scholarship covers the cost of a Scholar as follows:
- Tuition and registration fees as set by the institution;
- A study materials allowance as set by the MRF;
- Accommodation and meal allowances as set by the MRF;
- A medical aid allowance as set by the MRF;
- Economy-class travel allowance for international Scholars only from the Scholar’s home to their institution at the beginning and back home at the end of their degree programme;
- Personal allowance.
Duration of Scholarship: Full funding is for Honours (maximum one year) or Masters (up to a maximum of two years)
How to Apply: All Mandela Rhodes Scholarships applicants are to apply online via the Embark application system.
- It is important to go through all application requirements on the Programme Webpage (see link below) before applying