TRECCAfrica Masters & Doctoral Scholarships for African Students 2016
Application Deadline: 26 March 2016
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: staff and students registered at or employed at the following partner universities in Africa
- Mekelle University, Ethiopia
- Stellenbosch University, South Africa
- University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
- University of Ghana, Ghana
- University of Nairobi, Kenya
- University of Nigeria Nsukka, Nigeria
To be taken at (country): the universities listed above
Brief description: TRECCAfrica will provide doctoral and master’s training to 80 postgraduate students in Africa at six leading African Universities
TreccAfrica (Transdisciplinary Training for Resource Efficiency and Climate Change Adaptation in Africa) will provide doctoral and master’s training to 80 postgraduate students in Africa at six leading African Universities to provide the next generation of academics and professionals who will be able to address an interlocking set of real challenges for Africa’s future development: climate change and resource depletion.
The skills and competencies in transdisciplinary research methodologies that TRECCAfrica students will acquire and the research network that they will comprise will be able to generate policy-relevant research that tracks resource flows, prices, the use of these resources and flows of resource rents.
The TreccAfrica scholarship makes provision for individual mobility flows from two target groups (Target Group 1 and Target Group 2) and three different types of individual mobility for staff and students. The types of mobility covered includes full- degree studies for Masters and Doctoral students; exchanges for masters and doctoral students; and staff exchanges for up to one month.
Target Group 1
Refers to nationals and/or residents registered at one of the institutions comprising the TreccAfrica consortium. Target Group 1 therefore comprises staff and students registered at or employed by the University of Ghana (Ghana), University of Nairobi (Kenya), Mekelle University (Ethiopia), University of Nigeria Nsukka (Nigeria), University of Dar es Salaam (Tanzania) and Stellenbosch University (South Africa), University of Botswana.
Target Group 2
Refers to nationals and/ or residents of other African countries not represented by the TreccAfrica consortium or who have received a Higher Education Degree or equivalent in one of these countries. Target Group 2 students may therefore be employed in the public service or at public and private enterprises.
Scholarship Offered Since: not specified
Scholarship Type: The TRECCAfrica Scholarship allows candidates from two target groups to participate in the mobility scheme and makes provision for three types of individual mobility for staff and postgraduate (Master’s and Doctoral) students.
The types of mobility covered include:
- full- degree studies for Masters and Doctoral students;
- shorter-term exchanges for Masters and Doctoral students; and
- staff exchanges for up to one month.
The TRECCAfrica scholarship provides for the mobility of postgraduate students and staff between Higher Education Institutions comprising the TreccAfrica consortium (target group 1) as well as mobility opportunities for candidates from one of the other countries identified as target group 2.
The mobility activities are aimed at providing favourable conditions for staff and student mobility by means of quality support measures for students and staff to undertake study, research and training periods at one of the partner HEIs.
Eligibility Criteria for Student Mobility
To be eligible for the Scholarship, masters and doctoral students must:
- Must be a national and/ or resident of any of the eligible countries
- Target group 1 students must be registered or admitted to one of the Higher Education Institutions comprising the consortium at the time of application for the scholarship. Eligible students must therefore be registered/ admitted at the University of Ghana, Mekelle University, the University of Dar es Salaam, the University of Nairobi, Stellenbosch University and the University of Nigeria (Nsukka).
- Target group 2 students must be registered or admitted at a Higher Education Institution in one of the eligible countries identified in the Intra-ACP call.
- Students are also required to have sufficient knowledge of the language in which courses are offered at the host HEI.
Eligibility Criteria for Staff Mobility
For staff to be eligible for TreccAfrica scholarships, they need to comply with the following criteria:
- Be a national or resident of the countries covered by the scholarship
- Work at or be associated with a Higher Education Institution
- The assignment of mobility of a staff member must be based on the agreement between partner institutions.
- There must be an agreement between the home and host HEI regarding the modules to be taught by the visiting lecturer, the type of research to be conducted, the type of training to be followed or the administrative tasks to be undertaken.
- Staff mobility may take the form of a direct post-to-post exchange or a one way flow of mobility to or from an eligible country.
Number of Scholarships: 80
Value of Scholarship: The TreccAfrica individual scholarships will cover:
- One roundtrip flight ticket and visa costs for all scholarship holders
- A monthly subsistence allowance payable on a regular basis during the mobility period
- Masters – €600
- Doctorates – €900
- Staff – €1000
- Acommodation expenses to be covered by the scholarship recipient and can be done from the monthly subsistence allowance.
- Participation Costs which may include tuition fees, registration fees and service fees
- Comprehensive Insurance Coverage ( Health, Accident and Travel)
Duration of Scholarship: not specified
Deadline: launched on 11 February 2016 and closing on 26 March 2016
How to Apply
The following positions are available:
TRECCAfrica I: only academic and administrative staff from the TRECCafrica I Partnership may apply.
TRECCAfrica II: PhD mobility, Master Mobility and Master Full applications are invited. Staff exchange applications (from partner universities in TRECCAfrica II) will open at a later stage.
Visit scholarship webpage for details
Scholarship Provider: TRECCAfrica (Transdisciplinary Training for Resource Efficiency and Climate Change Adaptation in Africa)
Watch Interesting Videos from Our Channel
10 Lessons We Learned From Self Publishing a Book
Top 10 Highest Paying Engineering Jobs in the World
5 IMPORTANT WAYS JOBS WILL CHANGE IN THE 4TH INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION