Brief description: The Africa London Nagasaki (ALN) scholarship fund supports African scientists wishing to undertake a Master’s degree related to the control of infectious diseases in Africa. Each year, up to four scientists will receive up to a maximum award of US$50,000 each to cover tuition fees, travel and living expenses.
Application Ends: 30th September 2016
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible African Countries: Sub-Saharan Africa
To be taken at: Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagasaki, Japan and London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM), London, UK
About Scholarship: The scholarship funds a candidate to undertake an MSc in a subject relevant to the control of infectious disease in Africa at either the Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagasaki, Japan or at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM), London, UK.
Both residential and distance learning MSc courses are available at LSHTM. Candidates offered a course at the Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagasaki will be required to reside in Japan for the duration of the course.
Successful candidates are required to write a formal report on completion of their course.
Scholarship Type: Masters Scholarship
Eligibility: Candidates applying for an Africa London Nagasaki (ALN) MSc scholarship must meet the following criteria.
Candidates applying for a Scholarship at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine must:
- -Be of African nationality and normally be resident in sub-Saharan Africa, be fluent in English.
- -If the applicant’s first language is not English or if the studies at university have not been conducted wholly in the medium of English candidates must take and pass one of the approved internet-based tests (IELTS, TOEFL or a Pearson Test of English).
- -The standard of English needed to pass the tests is high and is in line with the level of English required by the UK Border Authority in order to issue a student visa.
- -Have a first or upper second class BSc degree or equivalent from an established university in a relevant area of science (a medical degree is not essential).
- -Usually have had at least two years’ prior research experience in an area relevant to the study of infectious diseases.
- -Have the support of the head of their institution for undertaking their chosen course.
Candidates applying for a Scholarship at the Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nagaski must:
- -Be of African nationality and normally be resident in sub-Saharan Africa.
- -Be fluent in English.
- -Have obtained an MB ChB or equivalent medical qualification from a recognised university.
- -Have had at least two years of clinical experience following graduation, have the support of the head of their institution for undertaking their chosen course.
How Many Funding Positions are available? Four (4)
What are the benefits? Up to a maximum award of US$50,000 each to cover tuition fees, travel and living expenses
How to Apply:
- Identify an MSc course at either LSHTM or NEKKEN that you would like to study, but do not apply to the university.
- Ensure you are eligible for the MSc course and ALN Scholarship. Please note NEKKEN applicants must have a medical qualification.
- Register to create an account with ALN. You must have an account before you can apply.
- Log in to download the application form. Complete and submit the application form by Saturday 12th September 2014. No supporting documentation is required at this stage.
- Applications will be considered by a selection committee and four candidates will be offered Scholarships by mid February.
- Successful candidates to apply for the MSc course at the specified university by 1 March.
- Scholarship awardees that are given a place at university start their MSc course in September at LSHTM and October at NEKKEN.
Visit scholarship webpage for details
Sponsors: Africa London Nagasaki Scholarship Fund