Scholarship Name: SPDC Niger Delta Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme
Postgraduate Scholarship for Nigerian Students from Rivers, Delta and Bayelsa States to study in UK for Engineering and petroleum related Science courses at Imperial College London, University College London and the University of Leeds for 2012/2013 academic year
Accepted Subject Areas?
The following courses at the three institutions qualify for the scholarship:
- Imperial College London
MSC Petroleum Engineering
MSC Petroleum Geoscience
MSC Petroleum Geophysics
MSC Engineering Geology
- University College London
MSC Chemical Process Engineering
MSC Mechanical Engineering
MSC Civil Engineering
- University of Leeds
MSC Exploration Geophysics
MSC Electronic/Electrical Engineering
Each year the Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria (SPDC) offers scholarship awards to students form the Niger Delta region of Nigeria. For the 2013 scholarship award, the Oil and Gas company is delighted to announce the third annual SPDC Niger Delta Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme for applicants from Rivers, Delta and Bayelsa States.
The scholarship scheme is aimed to provide an opportunity for qualifying students from the three Niger Delta States to further their education in courses that are relevant to the oil and gas industry.
Scholarship Offered Since: 2010
Scholarship Type: Full Scholarship
By what Criteria is Selection Made?
Candidates must have gained admission to study at any of the participating universities in one of the qualifying courses
Who is qualified to apply?
To qualify for the scholarship, applicants must:
- display intellectual ability and leadership potential;
- meet the university’s language requirement (usually at least 6.5 in IELTS);
- be between 21-30 years;
- be an indigene of Rivers, Delta or Bayelsa States (documentary proof of this will be required);
- currently reside in Nigeria;
- intend to return and take up permanent residence in Nigeria after completion of the proposed programme of study;
- have obtained a university degree of at least an equivalent standard to a UK Second Class Upper (Honours Degree);
- be neither a current nor former employee (having left employment within the last five years) of SPDC, the Royal Dutch Shell Group of Companies or Wider Perspectives Limited, or be related to current employees of any of these companies;
- not have studied previously in the UK or any other developed country.
How Many Scholarship Positions are available? For the academic year commencing in September 2013, SPDC will award up to ten scholarships for one-year postgraduate studies
What are the benefits?
The scholarship will cover tuition fees, one return flight from Nigeria to the UK and a contribution towards living expenses only.
How long will sponsorship last? One year postgraduate Masters Studies
Eligible African Countries
Nigeria (Rivers, Delta and Bayelsa States)
To be taken at (country): The scholarship is offered in partnership with three prestigious and internationally recognised universities in the United Kingdom Imperial College London, University College London and the University of Leeds UK
What time of year does Application Close?
Application deadline for 2013/2014 academic year application forms must reach participating universities no later than March 19, 2013.
Offered annually? Yes
How can I Apply?
Application forms will be available ONLY through the participating universities, following admission;
Nominated applicants will attend an interview before being considered for final selection;
Visit the following university application page for more details on how to apply for admission.
Further information can be obtained at firstname.lastname@example.org or through the individual universities.
Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria (SPDC)
In the first two years of the programme, 20 students have benefitted from the opportunity to study at world-renowned institutions.