Scholarship Name: SPDC Niger Delta Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme
Postgraduate Scholarship for Nigerian Students from Rivers, Delta and Bayelsa States to study in UK for Engineering and petroleum related Science courses at Imperial College London, University College London and the University of Leeds for 2015 academic year
Accepted Subject Areas?
The following courses at the three institutions qualify for the scholarship:
- Imperial College London
MSC Petroleum Engineering
MSC Petroleum Geoscience
MSC Petroleum Geophysics
- University College London
MSC Chemical Process Engineering
MSC Mechanical Engineering
MSC Civil Engineering
- University of Leeds
MSC Exploration Geophysics
MSC Electronic/Electrical Engineering
Each year the Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria (SPDC) offers scholarship awards to students form the Niger Delta region of Nigeria. For the 2014 scholarship award, the Oil and Gas company is delighted to announce the third annual SPDC Niger Delta Postgraduate Scholarship Scheme for applicants from Rivers, Delta and Bayelsa States.
The scholarship scheme is aimed to provide an opportunity for qualifying students from the three Niger Delta States to further their education in courses that are relevant to the oil and gas industry.
Scholarship Offered Since: 2010
Scholarship Type: Full Scholarship
By what Criteria is Selection Made?
Candidates must have gained admission to study at any of the participating universities in one of the qualifying courses
Who is qualified to apply?
To qualify for the scholarship, applicants must:
- display intellectual ability and leadership potential
- meet the University’s English language requirements (usually at least 6.5 in IELTS or equivalent TOEFL score valid for Sept 2015, admission)
- be between 21-28 years by 30/09/2015
- be indigenes of Rivers, Delta or Bayelsa States (proof of this will be required)
- currently reside in Nigeria
- return and take up permanent residence in Nigeria after completion of the proposed programme of study
- have obtained a university degree equivalent to a UK Second Class Upper (Honours Degree) at a minimum
- not have studied previously in the UK or any other developed country
- have a valid Nigerian passport valid till December, 2015
- be neither current nor former employees (who have left employment less than 5 years before) of SPDC, the Royal Dutch Shell Group of Companies or Karamat Ltd
- not be a spouse, child or ward of staff of Shell Companies in Nigeria or Karamat Ltd.
What are the benefits?
The scholarship will cover tuition fees, one return flight from Nigeria to the UK and a contribution towards living expenses only.
How long will sponsorship last? One year postgraduate Masters Studies
Eligible African Countries
Nigeria (Rivers, Delta and Bayelsa States)
To be taken at (country): The scholarship is offered in partnership with three prestigious and internationally recognised universities in the United Kingdom Imperial College London, University College London and the University of Leeds UK
Application Deadline: Completed scholarship application forms must reach participating universities not later than January 23, 2015
Offered annually? Yes
How can I Apply?
Application forms will be available ONLY through the participating universities, following admission;
Nominated applicants will attend an interview before being considered for final selection;
Visit the following university application page for more details on how to apply for admission.
Further information can be obtained at [email protected] or through the individual universities.
Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria (SPDC)
Notes: In the first two years of the programme, 20 students have benefitted from the opportunity to study at world-renowned institutions.