Brief description: Google offers The Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship every year for women in Europe, the Middle East and Africa to study in the field ofcomputing and technology for Bachelors, Masters or PhD degrees 2016/2017
Accepted Subject Areas: Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Informatics or a closely related technical ﬁeld
Dr. Anita Borg devoted her adult life to revolutionising the way we think about technology and dismantling barriers that keep women and minorities from entering computing and technology fields. She proposed the “50/50 by 2020” initiative, so that women earning computing degrees would be 50% of the graduates by year 2020. However, the percentage of Computer Science degrees earned by women is still far from 50% throughout the world.
As part of Google’s ongoing commitment to furthering Anita’s vision, the internet company is pleased to announce The Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship: Europe, the Middle East and Africa. Through the scholarship, Google aim to encourage women to excel in computing and technology, and become active role models and leaders.
Scholarship Offered Since: Not specified
Scholarship Type: Bachelors, Masters or PhD scholarship for women
Multiple scholarships will be awarded based on the strength of candidates’ academic performance, leadership experience and demonstrated passion for computer science.
Who is qualified to apply?
To be eligible to apply, applicants must:
- Be a female student currently enrolled at a university for the 2015-2016 academic year
- Intend to be enrolled in or accepted as a full-time student in a Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD program at a university in Europe, the Middle East or Africa for the 2016-2017 academic year
- Be studying Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Informatics or a closely related technical ﬁeld
- Maintain a strong academic record
Number of Scholarships: A group of female Bachelors, Masters, and PhD student finalists will be chosen from the applicant pool.
Scholarship Amount: The scholarship recipients will each receive a €7,000 (or equivalent) scholarship.
Eligible Countries: Women from Europe, the Middle East and Africa
To be taken at Universities in Europe, the Middle East and Africa
Application Deadline: 31st December 2015
Offered annually? Yes
How to Apply
Complete the online application and submit all requested documents by 31st December. All application documents must be in English.
You will be required to submit the following:
- Recommendation letters
- Two strong referral letters from individuals who are qualified to evaluate your academic and leadership accomplishments, e.g. from a professor, adviser or supervisor.
Scholarship announcement page: www.google.com/anitaborg/emea/