Undergraduate (Bachelors) and Postgraduate (Master’s and Doctoral) Scholarships for International Students to study in Taiwan Universities for the duration of their degree programme in 2017/2018.
Application Deadline: The application period is from February 1st through March 31st of each year. However, the actual application period will be in accordance with dates provided by the local Taiwan Representative Offices.
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: The scholarship is open to all international students (excluding students from Mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau) from any country
To be taken at (country): Universities and Colleges in Taiwan
Accepted Subject: All study programmes offered at selected universities and colleges in Taiwan
About the Award: The Government of Taiwan through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) has established the Taiwan Scholarship Program for foreign students in an effort to encourage outstanding international students to undertake degree studies in Taiwan so as to familiarize themselves with the academic environment in Taiwan and promote communication, understanding and friendship between Taiwan and countries around the world.
Offered Since: 2010
- Recipients academic study goals should be consistent with Taiwan’s national development plans so as to assist in the growth of industry, economy and education.
- Recipients should achieve an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or above, and a postgraduate GPA of 3.5 or above (on a 4.5 scale).
- Interviews must be conducted in person or by video conferencing so as to interact with the applicants and better judge their demeanor and moral character.
- Priority will be given to applicants with a certificate in TOCFL-levels of: intermediate or above. For applications to all-English programs, a copy of TOEFL test scores or other recognized English language proficiency exams at the intermediate level or a test score of over 75% must be submitted.
- Applicants must be a foreign national with a high-school diploma or post-secondary degree(s), with an excellent academic record, and be of good moral character.
- Applicants should apply directly for admission within the deadlines specified by each university/college listed in the “Association of Taiwan Scholarship Program Schools” (see link below). Applications for admission outside of the universities/colleges participating in the Taiwan Scholarship Program are automatically disqualified and will not be returned.
Number of Scholarships: A number of scholarships will be awarded
Benefits: The MOE awards outstanding international students undertaking undergraduate and postgraduate studies in Taiwan by awarding each recipient of the Taiwan scholarship the following:
- Tuition and payment of academic fees, including credit fee. Upon validation of tuition and above fees, the MOE awards each recipient per semester up to NTD40,000. If the total amount of these fees should exceed NTD40,000, the remainder of all costs shall be covered by either the recipient, or the recipient’s college. Tuition and academic fees do not include any of the following: administration fees, thesis advising fees, insurance premiums, accommodation, Internet access, all of which are payable by the recipients.
- Subsistence allowance:
The MOE offers each recipient undertaking undergraduate studies a monthly stipend of NTD15,000; it offers each recipient undertaking postgraduate studies a monthly stipend of NTD20,000.
Duration: The maximum period of each scholarship is four years for undergraduate programs, two years for master programs, and four years for doctorate programs. The maximum length of the total awards for each recipient undertaking a combination of studies is five years. Annual award periods begin on September 1st and continue until August 31st of the following year.
How to Apply: Applicants should send the following document within the period specified enclosed with their application to the nearest Taiwan Embassy or Representative Office in their country.
- Taiwan Scholarship Application Form (available at the nearest Taiwan Embassy or Representative Office)
- A copy of the applicant’s passport or other nationality certificates.
- A copy of the highest degree and academic transcripts. If issued by international educational institutions, these documents must be authenticated by an overseas Representative Office or be sealed and delivered by the awarding institutions. Documents in a language other than Chinese or English must be translated into Chinese or English and the translated documents must be authenticated.
- A copy of admission application materials to universities/colleges in Taiwan (e.g., copies of application fee remittance, application form, receipt of application from universities/colleges, e-mails, ).
- A copy of a language proficiency certificate:
- 1.A copy of results or certificate for the “Test of Chinese as a Foreign Language” (TOCFL) Basic or above.
- 2.For applications to all-English programs, a copy of TOEFL test scores or other recognized English language proficiency exams or degrees awarded in English must be submitted. English-speaking nationals are exempt from this rule.
- Two letters of reference, signed and sealed in envelopes (i.e. from the principals, professors, or supervisors). Photo copies and email submissions of letters of recommendation will not be considered.
- Additional documents as specified by the individual representative offices.
Sponsors: The Taiwan Scholarship Program is jointly established and funded by three government agencies of the Republic of China (Taiwan) — the Ministry of Education (MOE), the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) and the National Science Council of the Executive Yuan (NSC)
Visit Scholarship Webpage
Important Notes: Candidates and their awarding universities/colleges are to be notified by May 31st of each year.
Successful candidates should submit a copy of their letter of admission to their local Taiwan Representative Office for verification by June 30th of each year. The list of recipients must be finalized no later than July 31st of each year.