The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) today announced the opening of applications for the Global Indigenous Ambassador Program. Two Indigenous Ambassadors will be selected from underrepresented indigenous communities to attend ICANN61.
Application Deadline: 17th November 2017.
Eligible Regions: Applicants must be members of unserved or underserved tribal or native communities
To Be Taken At (Country): Puerto Rico
About the Award: ICANN wants participants to learn as much as possible during ICANN61. As part of the program, Indigenous Ambassadors will:
- Work with an indigenous mentor for the duration of the conference.
- Attend the ICANN Newcomer meeting with a Public Responsibility Support team representative who will facilitate the session to ensure inclusion.
- Participate in the Fellowship morning sessions for the duration of the conference to gain an understanding of and experience with ICANN and the multistakeholder community.
- Participate in the newcomer Onboarding Program both prior to coming to ICANN61 and during ICANN61.
- Submit a detailed report within 30 days after the conference – describing activities and assessing the Ambassador’s experience. These reports help ICANN evaluate future Fellowship efforts.
This round of the program will launch at around the ICANN60 Public Meeting in Abu Dhabi in October 2017. In the previous round, applications for ambassadors, which was expanded to global indigenous communities, were received from nearly all continents.
Type: Professional Fellowship
Eligibility: Priority is given to candidates currently living in underserved and underrepresented communities around the world, those who represent diversity of gender, sector, region, experience, and expertise, and/or have established financial need. Participation in the Program at an ICANN meeting is a “fast-track” experience of engagement into that community model, with presentations designed to facilitate understanding of the many pieces and parts of ICANN while providing opportunities to network and promoting interaction with ICANNcommunity and staff.
Number of Awards:
Value of Award: Each candidate selected into the Program through the online application and assessment process is provided a grant of support that covers the cost of economy class airfare, hotel and a stipend. Fellowship recipients are expected to engage prior to, during and after the ICANN meeting with the ICANN Fellowship office, Program Alumni, Newcomer Coaches and their selected peers, as well as begin to actively contribute to ICANNprocesses upon completion of the Program.
Duration of Program: The ICANN61 Conference in Puerto Rico, will be held 10-15 March 2018.
How to Apply: Apply here
Award Providers: Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)