Nominations are now open for Youth Activists, Individual Activists, Civil Society Organisations, and the newest category of Brave Philanthropy. Is there an activist, organisation or donor in your community or country that the world should know about? If so, we want to celebrate them!
Application Deadline: 21st September 2017.
Offered Annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: African countries
About the Award: The 2017 Nelson Mandela – Graça Machel Innovation Awards is celebrating the 12th year of recognising individuals and organisations for their excellence, innovation, and bravery in creating positive social change.
The Innovation Awards are part of the global SPEAK! campaign, which seeks to give a voice to everyone, everywhere. Led by CIVICUS through the Civic Space Initiative, SPEAK! and the Innovation Awards will together help celebrate, promote, and defend the voices of ordinary citizens in ensuring a more just and sustainable future for all.
Category of Award: One award will be conferred in each of the following categories:
- Youth Activist: An individual who has worked for positive social change and is younger than 30 as of August 1st, 2017.
- Individual Activist: An Individual who has worked for positive social change and is 30 years of age, or older, as of August 1st, 2017.
- Civil Society Organisation: A registered non-profit organisation that has worked for positive social change and has two or more full-time employees.
- Brave Philanthropy (Donor): An individual or organisation that has provided financial support for an activist, organisation or campaign engaged in social change despite financial or other risk, public perception, or donor-norms.
Eligibility: The Awards will recognise outstanding activists, organisations and donors whose work demonstrates innovative or bold approaches, perseverance in the face of challenges, significant reach, and measurable impact.
In addition to the above Category Definitions, the following eligibility requirements apply for all nominations:
- Nominators can nominate themselves or organisations with which they are affiliated, or nominate other individuals or organisations.
- Nominators can submit a maximum of one nomination per category.
- Nominations must be based on specific activities that took place between 1 May 2016 and 31 July 2017. (Any nominations based on activities that took place outside of this time frame will not be considered.)
- No member of the Civic Space Initiative or individual who is otherwise involved with the Nelson Mandela – Graça Machel Innovation Awards, whether as an officer, director, employee, or independent contractor, is eligible to be nominated.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: Award winners of the Youth, Individual and Organisation categories will be awarded a prize package worth approximately US$4,550.00. This includes:
- Return airfare to ICSW 2017 (value of approx US$2,000)
- Registration fee waiver for ICSW (value of approx US$250)
- Accommodation in Suva, Fiji for 3 nights/4 days for ICSW, together with the majority of meals (value of approx US$500)
- Per diem for 4 days at ICSW (value of approx US$300)
- Cash prize of $1,500
ii. The Award winner of the Brave Philanthropy category will receive a registration fee waiver for ICSW 2017.
iii. Any costs or fees not specifically listed above will be borne by Award winners.
iv. Award winners must confirm their intent to attend ICSW on or before 11:59pm (GMT+2) on 6 November 2017.
v. If one or more of the Awards can not be physically presented to the winners at ICSW 2017 due to circumstances beyond CIVICUS’ control, those Awards will be presented in absentia
How to Apply:
- All nominations should be submitted via the Awards webpage using the online form. However, recognising the digital divide, we encourage individuals and organisations with resources to assist possible nominators who may not have access to the webpage, and we invite individuals or organisations to contact us if they require assistance.
- All nominations must be submitted before the end of the nomination period.
- Due to the large number of nominations, CIVICUS may not be able to acknowledge receipt of submissions.
- A selection of nominations will be posted on the Awards webpage as an example and inspiration for others.
Submit your nominations, including self-nominations, now by clicking here.
Award Providers: CIVICUS