To mobilize novel ideas, arguments and solutions to key issues in Africa-China relations, the African Union Commission is collaborating with Tianjin University of Technology and Education to host an International Symposium on China-Africa Educational Exchange and Industrial Capacity Cooperation.
Application Deadline: 7th September 2017.
Eligible Countries: African countries
To Be Taken At (Country): Tianjin, China
About the Award: Over the past half century, China has been an increasingly important partner of Africa in education and training exchange and in industrial capacity cooperation. A central factor in ensuring that the cooperation and investments deliver on economic and social returns for both Africa and China depends on the quantity and quality of skills in African countries. Enhancing both how skills are delivered and the range and quality of skills will be a critical pillar for the economic transformation of African countries and the achievement of both Agenda 2063 and the global Sustainable Development Goals.
The number of scholarships and training opportunities provided by the Chinese government for African countries continue to grow. Yet, the effectiveness of the education and training programs, especially their contribution to the industrial development in Africa has largely remained unstudied. Key questions for discussions include:
- How can African countries benefit from intensified social, cultural and economic ties with China?
- How can China benefit from socially and economically sustainable investments into African economies?
The conference aims to integrate African perspectives on Africa-China cooperation in education/skills development and industrial capacity transfer, featuring presentations by African and Chinese scholars and officials. The conference will also bring together established and aspiring thought leaders on Africa-China collaboration, offering first-hand insights and unparalleled opportunities for networking and exchange.
Type: Call for Papers, Conferences
Eligibility: The Conference Organizing Committee invites proposals for papers from scholars, experts, decision makers and opinion leaders on the following themes:
- Education and Industrialization: Lessons and Experience of China.
- Industrialization and Human Resource in Africa: Demands and Supply.
- China-Africa Industrial Capacity Cooperation: Achievements, Challenges and Future.
- China-Africa Education and Training Cooperation and its Effect on China-African Industrial Cooperation
Selection Criteria: The proposals may explore the undermentioned sub-thematic areas that could be embedded within more than one main themes.
- Capacity Building to promote social protection interventions for enhancing access and retention in education, including Home Grown School Feeding and Policy Support for Member States
- A paper that uncovers the engagements of China-Africa relation
- Internationalization of Higher Education and Research: Lessons for Africa; and
- Quality Assurance in Higher Education: What lessons can Africa draw from the Chinese experience?
- Forecasting for 21st Century skills. Challenges and lessons in skills supply and demand in Africa.
- Building Human capacity to unlock the Demographic Dividend in Africa
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: The Tianjin University Technology and Education will cover the costs for the participation of selected African experts.
Duration of Program: 24th – 25th November 2017
How to Apply: Paper abstracts (not exceeding 500 words) and a curriculum vitae should be submitted to the Association of African Universities (AAU) by 7th September 2017. The selection of papers for the symposium will be undertaken by the AAU.
Each papers has to stress on the points highlighted below:
- Addressing the main theme or subthemes as exhaustive as possible
- Concentrating on links to Africa–China Relation
- Draw applicable lessons from Chinese experience to Africa
The deadline for submitting final paper is 6th October 2017.
Award Providers: Tianjin University Technology and Education