The African Economic Research Consortium (AERC) In Partnership with GIZ and the World Bank are calling for Fellowships for a PhD specialization Course on Land Economics and Governance (Jan 7- Feb 11, 2018).
Application Deadline: 31st August 2017
Eligible Countries: African countries
To Be Taken At (Country): University of Cape Town (UCT) in South Africa
About the Award: The course is targeted at both students and practitioners with an understanding at the second year PhD level in Economics, Agricultural Economics, Development Economics or other relevant doctoral programs, who would have an interest in continuing research on a land related topic.
The course is also open to faculty from AERC partner institutions and Network of Excellence on Land Governance in Africa (NELGA) affiliated institutions, subject to meeting the course qualifications. It is part of capacity building efforts under the Strengthening Advisory Capacities for Land Governance in Africa (SLGA) program, being jointly implemented by the Land Policy Initiative (LPI) in UNECA, GIZ and the World Bank.
This intensive PhD course aims to help build and strengthen the analytical capacity in Land Economics and Governance in Africa, building the capacity of network universities in teaching and research in conformity to best global practices with deep African perspectives.
This course will be offered as a pilot pending formal accreditation within the AERC, and will be hosted at the University of Cape Town (UCT) in South Africa from January 7 to February 11, 2018. The course will be delivered by local and international experts on land related research of both academia and the World Bank, equipping participants with the latest theories and tools to conduct state of the art research on the subject.
Type: Short courses, PhD
- Applicants must be nationals of an African country;
- All applicants must be holders of at least a masters degree in agricultural and applied economics, or related discipline from an internationally recognized university;
- Applicants must be enrolled in a PhD program in Africa, or be a faculty member of an African University in a AERC accredited university or a NELGA affiliated institution;
- Possession of at least a publication or acceptance of an article for publication on land, in a refereed journal will receive special consideration.
Number of Awards: Not specified
Value of Award: Upon acceptance, flights, accommodation and per diem will be fully covered.
Duration of Program: January 7 to February 11, 2018
How to Apply: Interested applicants must submit their applications for admission directly to the AERC. Application documents can also be submitted via the AERC website at http://scholarships.aercafrica.org/ not later than August 31, 2017. These should include:
- Signed curriculum vitae; please use the Europass CV template (http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu)
- Certified copies of all university degree certificates
- Certified copies of all university transcripts as necessary
- Admission letter to a doctoral program as appropriate/proof of employment as a faculty member
- Letter of motivation (Maximum 2 pages)
- Two (2) recommendation letters of academic referees
Award Providers: AERC and GIZ, in partnership with the World Bank Research Department.
Important Note: Female students and applicants from less privileged regions as well as candidates with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.