Scholarship Name: African Guest Researchers’ Scholarship Programme
Africa Guest Researcher Scholarships at Nordic Africa Institute (NAI), Sweden for African Researchers /Scholars 2014 – With preference to Women Researchers
Accepted Subject Areas?
Applications are invited from scholars with research projects related to current thematic research clusters at the Institute:
- Agrarian Change, Property and Resources
- Conflict, Displacement and Transformation
- Globalization, Trade and Regional Integration
- Urban Dynamics
The Nordic Africa Institute (Nordiska Afrikainstitutet) is a center for research, documentation and information on modern Africa in the Nordic region. Based in Uppsala, Sweden, the Institute is dedicated to providing timely, critical and alternative research and analysis of Africa in the Nordic countries and to strengthen the co-operation between African and Nordic researchers.
One important task of the Nordic Africa Institute is to establish and maintain relations with African research communities. This is inter alia carried out through a Guest Researchers’ Scholarship Programme, which is aimed to provide opportunities for its participants to pursue their own research projects, thereby indirectly strengthening the academic milieux in African countries, and promoting scholarly exchange with Nordic research communities.
Scholarship Offered Since: Not Specified
By what Criteria is Selection Made?
- This scholarship programme is directed at scholars in Africa, engaged in research on the African continent.
- Female researchers are especially encouraged to apply for these scholarships.
Who is qualified to apply?
- The Guest Researchers’ Scholarship Programme is directed at scholars in Africa engaged in research on/about the African continent and with a proven track record of extensive post-graduate research experience
- Women are especially encouraged to apply for these scholarships.
How Many Scholarships are available?
Several scholarships will be awarded
What are the benefits?
The Guest Researchers’ scholarship includes:
- a return air-fare (economy class),
- a subsistence allowance of SEK (Swedish kronor) 300 (approx. USD 45) a day plus an installation grant of SEK 2,500 (approx. USD 370),
- a shared office and free photocopying facilities up to a maximum of 1,000 copies.
- Guest Researchers have access to a computer/MS Word at the office and have to do their own typing.
How long will sponsorship last?
The maximum duration of the stay is 90 days. To be entitled to a refund of the travel costs, the Guest Researcher has to stay for at least two months.
Which African Countries is Eligible?
Where will it be taken (country):
Nordic Africa Insitute, Sweden
What time of year does Application Close?
Applications deadline for 2014 is 1 April 2013
Is this Scholarship offered annually? Yes
How can I Apply?
Download Scholarship Application form (pdf)
Applications for positions in 2014 must be submitted by the deadline and can be sent by email or by post/airmail.
The application should contain
- a completed application form (3 copies)
- an up-to-date curriculum vitæ (3 copies)
- a well elaborated research proposal outlining the main features of the research topic. The proposal should focus on the project to be carried out at the Nordic Africa Institute and include the expected results. Length of the proposal: 5 pages. (3 copies)
- copies of and/or references to the applicant’s publications; the two most important articles related to the research project to be pursued at the Nordic Africa Institute. (3 copies)
- a signed letter of support from the applicant’s Head of Department or other senior scholar in the same field.
Applications sent by post/airmail should be addressed to
The Nordic Africa Institute
The Programme Officer
The African Guest Researchers’ Scholarship Programme (AGRP)
P.O. Box 1703
SE-751 47 Uppsala, Sweden
Applications sent by email should be addressed to
Inga-Britt Isaksson Faris, Programme Officer, email inga-britt.faris[at]nai.uu.se
Nordic Africa Institute, Sweden jointly financed by the Nordic countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden).
How can I get more information?
If you need more Information about this scholarship, kindly visit the Scholarship Webpage
- Please note! On the subject line of your email, write: “APPLICATION African Guest Researchers’ Scholarship.” Applications sent by email should only contain 1 copy of each document.
- Please note that most academic institutions in the Nordic countries, including the Nordic Africa Institute, are closed or at least running at a reduced capacity during the periods 15 June–15 August and 15 December–15 January. Applicants are thus asked not to choose these periods for their visit.
- Selection of Guest Researchers will take place during May–June 2012.