Application Deadline: 31 January 2015 | Offered annually: Yes
During 2016 NAI Travel Scholarships are cancelled due to financial constraints.
Brief description: Nordic Africa Institute Fieldwork Africa- Travel Scholarship, Sweden for researchers on development Issues in Africa with emphasis on Social sciences and closely related fields such as anthropology, History, Economics, Human Geography
Subject Areas: Social sciences and closely related fields such as anthropology, History, Economics, Human Geography
The Nordic Africa Institute (Nordiska Afrikainstitutet) is a center for research, documentation and information on modern Africa in the Nordic region. Based in Uppsala, Sweden, the Institute is dedicated to providing timely, critical and alternative research and analysis of Africa in the Nordic countries and to strengthen the co-operation between African and Nordic researchers.
The travel scholarships are intended for research and preparation of research projects. Research should concern development issues in Africa and emphasis is placed on the social sciences and closely related fields (anthropology, history, economics, human geography etc). Under this scheme some 20–30 scholars associated with Nordic universities, colleges and research institutions are sponsored annually for research trips to Africa. Exceptionally, scholarships may be awarded for archive studies in Europe.
Scholarship Offered Since: Not Specified
Applications are primarily evaluated on the basis of scientific quality and relevance. Secondly, the distribution among the Nordic countries, disciplines and gender is considered.
- The scholarships can be applied for by researchers associated with universities, colleges and other research institutions in the Nordic countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden).
- They are mainly intended for young researchers, but applications from established researchers will also be considered.
- Applicants should have completed their basic academic education (Bachelor degree).
- Pure natural science projects without a strong component of development research are NOT qualified.
- The scholarships are NOT awarded for study visits, excursions, or participation in conferences.
- Funds to cover salary expenses CANNOT be applied for.
- Scholarships will NOT be awarded for fieldwork that has already been completed before 31 January (the closing date for applications). Scholarships are NOT awarded to the same project more than once.
- Language studies do NOT qualify for support.
Number of Scholarships: 20–30 scholars
Benefits: Scholarships are intended to cover travel expenses to Africa and to contribute to the cost of local travel and living expenses.
Researchers associated with universities, colleges and other research institutions in the Nordic countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden).
Where will it be taken (country): Africa
How to Apply
Visit scholarship webpage for details
Sponsors: Nordic Africa Institute, Sweden jointly financed by the Nordic countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden).
- The Travel Scholarships are awarded once per year and applications mailed to Nordiska Afrikainstitutet must be in by 31 January. NAI does not accept applications sent by fax.
- Scholarships will be awarded end of April. All applicants will receive notification in writing. The scholarships are payable as from May 1st.